Ball Joints: self vs shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you take out that 45 nipple and rotate your u joint you will be able to see how much clearance you have. Measure your straight nipple from the bottom of the shoulder to see if it will fit. obviously the shorter the nipple the better off you will be.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Will do.

Another question, do you know which way the spindle bearing seal gets installed? I think the PO had it backwards. I have a new bearing kit, just want to make sure the seal is correct.

It would make sense to be like every other seal, which is not how i found it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It should be with the painted metal on the out side towards the axle. The little retainer spring for the seal will be towards the wheel bearings

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think some times guys do that to move where the seal lip contacts the mating surface. So if you have big grooves from the seal wearing on it you can flip the seal to move where it contacts.

Only problem is that the spring that applies pressure to the rubber seal on the back side of the seal is now exposed to road salt and debris and will cause the seal to fail in short order

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
There is no spring on this one, it is just a rubber seal, but looks like a metal oil seal if that makes sense.

Figured out the grease zerk stuff. Going to ditch my brand new 377s, not sure i can trust them anyway since one cap broke on install. Ordered spicer 5760x instead and will just stick a normal zerk on the ball joint as suggested.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
Not sure if you have completed this project or not but for those that may be under taking this job in the future you will also need this spanner for the upper ball joint to set preload.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once the ball joints are installed and you are re-installing the knuckle you will need to torque the inner collar to 50 ft lbs to set the preload on the upper ball joints then tighten the top castle nut to 100 ft lbs

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Yup, i bought the OTC one, it worked great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17