Bad Stumble at Road Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
'84 C10, stock 305, headers, Holley 650 (couple years old), Mallory coil (old), recent tune up with good parts (not cheap junk).

There were tiny hints of things to come for the past couple days, but for the most part the trouble all started this evening. The truck was hiccuping and stumbling real bad intermittently while leaning into the throttle while driving down the road. But giving it a little more throttle smoothed it out. It idled just fine a reved normal while in park. If I mashed it off the line everything was normal. Then everything went to hell in a handbasket. It still idles fine, but light throttle it bucks and hiccups something fierce. It's really hard to drive at all. Heavy throttle still smooths it out, but power is certainly lacking.

The weird thing is, when it's bucking and acting up, the tach needle goes nuts. Even at speed. The tach will instantly drop to zero for a split second, then come back to life right as there's a nice healthy backfire out the exhaust. Because of this I'm thinking a bad ignition module. Or a possible bad pickup coil. I'm really no expert on the HEI stuff and what exactly makes it tick. Anyone have any ideas?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
'84 C10, stock 305, headers, Holley 650 (couple years old), Mallory coil (old), recent tune up with good parts (not cheap junk).

The weird thing is, when it's bucking and acting up, the tach needle goes nuts. Even at speed. The tach will instantly drop to zero for a split second, then come back to life right as there's a nice healthy backfire out the exhaust. Because of this I'm thinking a bad ignition module. Or a possible bad pickup coil. I'm really no expert on the HEI stuff and what exactly makes it tick. Anyone have any ideas?

Check those first.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, tis possible that the pickup coil is now a hiccup coil....especially with the tach freakin out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Alright, I'll just stab another dizzy in it in the morning.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Put another dizzy in it, seems to be all better now. The one I put in looks like it's not very old at all, I think it only has a few hundred miles on it. The truck still had the original electronic spark control dizzy in it (it felt shot too, clickety clickety as you turn it) and was still all correctly wired up. Truck seems to run exactly as it did before with the ESC. Although the exhaust note just off idle seems a little different to me, could just be in my head.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Put another dizzy in it, seems to be all better now. The one I put in looks like it's not very old at all, I think it only has a few hundred miles on it. The truck still had the original electronic spark control dizzy in it (it felt shot too, clickety clickety as you turn it) and was still all correctly wired up. Truck seems to run exactly as it did before with the ESC. Although the exhaust note just off idle seems a little different to me, could just be in my head.

Good job! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06