bad gas in fuel lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuksk20

Reaction score
First Name
chuk
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hey guys, first time posting. My 86 k20 has dual tanks, the guy I bought it from told me they never used drivers side tank, and my passenger side started leaking. Me, being extremely foolish, started the truck to try and see if the truck would switch to the other tank. Long story short, before I could switch it over to the passenger side tank again, I think I sucked up some bad gas into the fuel lines. Truck died within a couple minutes. If I pour gas directly into carb, it starts right up. So, is bad gas a possibility? And if so, what's the easiest way to flush lines? I thought perhaps pouring gas into carb with the line removed from carb, so the mechanical fuel pump can do the work for me. The fuel filter is good, and I see this as the easiest solution, but do I risk damaging anything from the old and possibly dirty gas?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Get a can of ether (starting fluid) and use that to keep it running until the bad gas is purged.

Remove the air cleaner and shoot a good blast of ether down the throat. Crank it over. Once it fires, keep it running by giving it light shots of ether - always trying to make it run on the gas. There is probably about a cup of gas in the line from the tank transfer valve to the carb inlet (and another few ounces in the carb bowl) , so it shouldn't take to long to burn off the contaminated gas.

Another way is to disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor inlet, attach one end of a hose to the gas line (lead the other end away from the motor to eliminate the chance of a fire) and crank the engine. Just a few full revolutions (2-3) of the engine will be enough to pump out all the bad gas and pull in good gas. You will still have to deal with what is in the carb bowl.

If you decide to pull the inlet line, be sure to use two wrenches (as shown) - that will prevent you from twisting the tubing.

Attachments

• HPIM2348.jpg
    HPIM2348.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

chuksk20

Reaction score
First Name
chuk
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So, I have an inline fuel filter, I replaced it with a clear one. I put gas in the carb to start in, had it running for about 90 seconds on and off constantly pouring in gas. No fuel ever made it to the filter. I'm thinking the tank switch is stuck, or I gunked up the fuel pump? Can I bypass the tank selector?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You could take the rubber line off the fuel pump and blow into it. If you feel like you're moving air and you can hear bubbles in the tank you want selected, that's not the problem, and I'd replace the fuel pump. If there's complete resistance or you hear bubbles in the wrong tank, there's likely something wrong with the selector, and while you can bypass it, they're available at parts stores for not very expensive at all. I know blowing into a gas line is a primitive form of diagnostic, but it shouldn't be just pouring fuel out, and you can wrap something clean around the end of the line.

chuksk20

Reaction score
First Name
chuk
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thank you, off to work I go, but I will try that in the morning. I appreciate all the feedback, so glad I stumbled upon this site.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Probably the old gunk in the bad fuel tank clogged your in tank sock filter...or the filter itself fell apart and is lodged in the pump . I did the same thing with my truck. Decided to try out the passenger side tank, it ended up sucking not only bad fuel but also the filter into the pump. I ended up dropping both tanks, replacing both filters and both pumps. I also cleaned out the tanks. Its no suprise how much garbage builds up in the bottom of the tank in 30 years.

chuksk20

Reaction score
First Name
chuk
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I did a temporary bypass of the tank selector valve and the truck fired right up, now I know the part I have to get. Thank you everyone for the guidance, it is very much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris