Attaching 80s Fender badges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got new ones.
Can’t put speed nuts on the studs without tearing **** apart. That’s not happening.
Profile of the back side of the emblems is not flat so double sided tape seems difficult.
Any creative ways to attach them? I’m ok with some adhesive around the studs or something.
Ideas?
You must be registered for see images attach

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
What are barrel nuts?

I was going to suggest some 3M emblem adhesive. Stuffs works great for my needs. Emblems and trim and such.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@AyWoSch Motors , Barrel nuts are just what it sounds like. They push into the existing holes that the emblem studs go into and then you push the emblems into the "barrels", kind of a spread effect. Works pretty good, you don't have to take the fender off to secure the emblems. Developed long before double sided tape....remember I'm old, Ayden.....lol

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used 3M double sided tape. Been in place for 8 yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_103612_kindlephoto-46042088.jpg
    IMG_20200609_103612_kindlephoto-46042088.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 52

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
@AyWoSch Motors , Barrel nuts are just what it sounds like. They push into the existing holes that the emblem studs go into and then you push the emblems into the "barrels", kind of a spread effect. Works pretty good, you don't have to take the fender off to secure the emblems. Developed long before double sided tape....remember I'm old, Ayden.....lol
Ah. So sorta like a drywall anchor, but for metal to metal. Got it. Thanks.
Didnt know such a thing was made, might come in handy at some point.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I could make the tape work but would have to build up the backside of the emblem.
I left the holes in the fenders when I redid the truck and new emblems have the studs on them so barrel nuts make sense in this case.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The emblems are lightweight enough that some carefully trimmed 3M tape
(.25 wide) around the perimeter will work great. That's assuming that the factory style plastic shim/backer is not used.

Barrel nuts work great too, but you put a lot of faith in those weak plastic studs. However, barrel nuts AND 3M tape is an option as well.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I like the way bucket thinks, never trust just one way.

When I was running my blazer, I attached the radiator to the wooden core support with not only bailing wire and hay bail string, but zip ties as well, and the homemade core support was held on with bolts, sheetrock screws, and a ratchet strap. hahaha. Never just trust one way, hehe.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
The emblems on my Chevelle are all metal ....NO plastic studs........been on for 20-25 years....don't really remember............old ya know?

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
The emblems on my Chevelle are all metal ....NO plastic studs........been on for 20-25 years....don't really remember............old ya know?

(.25 wide) around the perimeter will work great. That's assuming that the factory style plastic shim/backer is not used.

Barrel nuts work great too, but you put a lot of faith in those weak plastic studs. However, barrel nuts AND 3M tape is an option as well.
most '80's truck emblems are plastic. the prongs on my factory emblems snapped off over time. just siliconed them back on, and cause they were broken, had no probs cutting them up for my cut out flares. had to cut the C on dr side and the E and the sunburst off pass side. when i painted my truck 5 yrs ago, i bought new emblems and i wasn't cutting them. welded up the now useless holes and used 3m sticky tape on the new ones. around the perimeter and ya, i built up the tape in a couple spots as well. haven't come off in 5 yrs. my 454 hood emblems are metal chevelle fender tags and they have been stickied taped on for close to 20 yrs

even moving the emblems to clear the cut outs didn't work either. notice anything different 'bout these emblems?

i made a left and right so they both face forward, as well as clear the flares

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Yes they came with the plastic backing sheet.
The barrel nuts hold pretty well. Not coming off from the wind or bumps but I’m not real happy with how they fit. I had to grind down the studs a little.
And they won’t seat 100% tight against the fender.
Originally they were taped on I believe? And the holes/studs were just to locate them, correct?
I know the Chevy ones I took off were taped on. Have to see if they have the studs too.
I like your idea of belt and suspenders, adding the tape as well. Considering I spent $70 on 2 gumball machine quality chunks of plastic…lol.
I’ll add that to the winter project list.
I said in another thread there was only 3 things left to do. I meant 3 plus the other 50 things I didn’t mention. Hahaha

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes they came with the plastic backing sheet.
The barrel nuts hold pretty well. Not coming off from the wind or bumps but I’m not real happy with how they fit. I had to grind down the studs a little.
And they won’t seat 100% tight against the fender.
Originally they were taped on I believe? And the holes/studs were just to locate them, correct?
I know the Chevy ones I took off were taped on. Have to see if they have the studs too.
I like your idea of belt and suspenders, adding the tape as well. Considering I spent $70 on 2 gumball machine quality chunks of plastic…lol.
I’ll add that to the winter project list.
I said in another thread there was only 3 things left to do. I meant 3 plus the other 50 things I didn’t mention. Hahaha

It's been so long since I've dealt with emblems that haven't been previously messed with, so I can't remember for sure. But I think they were originally held on from the backside with stamped nuts.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I used 3M auto tape when I replaced my drivers fender, and broke off the studs

Forum statistics

Threads