Tailgate Band Restoration Bring back the shine !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just the emblem, Never Dull on the aluminum & new stainless panel
Roger. Do you mind sharing the black paint you used for the emblem? I have 2k clear but would like to know what black you used to minimize any paint reaction.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Roger. Do you mind sharing the black paint you used for the emblem? I have 2k clear but would like to know what black you used to minimize any paint reaction.
I found out that cure time is crucial in the reaction. I had to repaint the border black on the trim piece because I waited 2 days to clear coat it after the black. The manufacturer says to clear coat within an hour, or wait 7 days or until paint is cured. I actually didn't have any problems in the 5 day range, so I believe that is the key. I think it all was Krylon

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found out that cure time is crucial in the reaction. I had to repaint the border black on the trim piece because I waited 2 days to clear coat it after the black. The manufacturer says to clear coat within an hour, or wait 7 days or until paint is cured. I actually didn't have any problems in the 5 day range, so I believe that is the key. I think it all was Krylon
Ahhh that’s good to know. I’d be nervous clearing within the hour too. Appreciate it. I’ve read mixed reviews on 2k over 1k but looks like it is possible so I’ll give it a try

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641