'87 square manual trans and 4.3 questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownsquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3 V6
A couple months ago I pulled my '87 GMC off the road for some basic repairs. The truck was leaking oil and trans fluid, and the clutch was definitely shot. What was supposed to be a week-long fix really snowballed! It hasn't helped that I don't want to go out and work on the truck in the 90+ degree heat and humidity! The good news is I replaced the rear main seal, the pan gasket, the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout, and re-sealed the Saginaw 3 speed. I'm just running into a couple of issues going back together.

They are:

While trying to eliminate all the oil leaks, I've noticed that the truck seems to be leaking from the oil pressure sender, which I plan to replace. There is another fitting just above it on the side of the block that also appears to be leaking. The only problem is I have no idea what it is! I've typed my fingers raw searching for diagrams of '80s GM 4.3s and none of them show it. I'm wondering if it has a separate pressure sensor and sender? Any ideas guys?

Second, before I took the truck apart I was having column-shift linkage problems. Every so often the truck would jam in 2nd gear. I'd coast to the side of the road, climb under, and fiddle with the linkage and it'd go right back in. A friend suggested I adjust the linkage, but the shift rods on the trans are not threaded or adjustable at all. It's a regular rod with a barrel fitting (pressed on?) at the end that pins into the side of the trans. Also, one of the barrel fittings MOVES (slides) on the shift rod while the other is stationary. Should this be happening? Seems wrong to me, but there's no way to fasten it to the rod. No jam nuts...nothing.

Help! Thank you BTW!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Brownsquare It's pretty likely I can tell you what the fitting is near the oil pressure sending unit, but I'd need a picture.

I don't know the specifics on the three speed linkage really well but when diagnosing an issue like this at the shop, the first thing we'd look for is any worn out bushings. Usually that is the cause of those binding up. Lubricate every thing involving the linkage as well then retest. Again if you have pics of the linkage assembled one of us might spot something but otherwise just look for a loose bushing or binding.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have you adjusted the collar at the lower end of the steering column? That's often where the linkage binding comes from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1