Atlas LL8 or Vortec 4200

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Anyone done anything with this Chev inline DOHC 6? Does it need a computer to run? How hard is it to install in an older pick up? I haven't found one for sale yet, what is it commonly called?
Thanks Bob

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After working on countless Trail Blazers, I can say I'm not a fan of this engine. They are extremely "computerized", mpg isn't that great, and performance really isn't that great either. They are a royal pain to work on too, although it would be easier in a large engine compartment..

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just wait for someone to total a new Silvy or Sierra with the new 4.3 and 6 speed trans.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
As a someone who daily drives a Trailblazer with the I6 (and being the 06+ with better internals) the concerns about them being thirsty and heavily computer controlled is true. Now much of that is for emissions and keeping a 4L65E alive behind the engine. With stock size tires and 3.42 gears, I turn about 1900 RPM at 70, about 2100 at 75 and it does not hunt for gears in the hills at speed. It seems most I6 TrailBlazers had the 3.42 gears which suck for city MPG.

Its a dead smooth engine that likes to rev and had a very broad torque curve. Most of the wiring is actually very neat and not hard to conceal.

The PCM is mounted on the intake manifold, which is composite so its not really exposed to heat at all. With PCM tuning, a free flowing exhaust and air intake it can make well over 300 horsepower.

A couple things are that due to the wrapper of the TB, they can be hard to change the plugs,the starter is in a really awkward place and the engine has a front sump where the front axle passes through on 4x4/AWD models

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt