03 Trailblazer Build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Who are you going to have regrind the cams? If the base circle ends up smaller, how do you make up the difference in lash adjustment on those engines?

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Dont temp me too much, i'll sell my 502 in my c10 and swap a 4200 in it!
I'll take that 502 off your hands Vince!!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Who are you going to have regrind the cams? If the base circle ends up smaller, how do you make up the difference in lash adjustment on those engines?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have been watching this engine for a while, lots of youtube, I think it is awesome. I ran six cylinders more then any other engine in m y lifetime, cause I was stuck on the 47-54 trucks. I have swapped numerous V8's in them, this would be killer. If you just could use like 1.75 rockers on the intake to open that valve a little earlier, taking advantage of the exhaust scavenging to pull in the intake charge....

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have been watching this engine for a while, lots of youtube, I think it is awesome. I ran six cylinders more then any other engine in m y lifetime, cause I was stuck on the 47-54 trucks. I have swapped numerous V8's in them, this would be killer. If you just could use like 1.75 rockers on the intake to open that valve a little earlier, taking advantage of the exhaust scavenging to pull in the intake charge....
These are dual overhead cam engines. They don't use rockers. Its a follower system. Theres some good youtube videos that show the valvetrain:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Holdener has some videos from a few years ago where he boosts a junkyard 4200.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Pound for pound in terms if boost, they produce the same, if not more power than a 5.3 LS
way more... not even on a hp/cu-in basis. They just make more HP/TQ stock than the 5.3 does. Add boost and it's even more so. I-6 is a very efficient arrangement for low RPM and torque production, the V-8 arrangement does better for higher RPM and HP production. After seeing this, I might consider making a turbo Atlas setup for a future tow pig project. Or maybe get one of the cheapo M112 supercharger setups going on one.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
way more... not even on a hp/cu-in basis. They just make more HP/TQ stock than the 5.3 does. Add boost and it's even more so. I-6 is a very efficient arrangement for low RPM and torque production, the V-8 arrangement does better for higher RPM and HP production. After seeing this, I might consider making a turbo Atlas setup for a future tow pig project. Or maybe get one of the cheapo M112 supercharger setups going on one.

Yeah I've been eyeing 4200s for a long time now. And studying and learning and all. Ive wanted a 4200 for a couple years, The opportunity arose for me to have this trailblazer for 700$.

The big limiter for boost is the management itself. It doesnt support boost of any sort on the 02-05 P10 ecm.
And its alpha-N based for everything above idle, and you have multiple fuel cells as well as VVT to contend with.

So i'll have to do the fake 2 bar just like i did on the lumina. Not just that but ive opened a .bin up for one and now have ALL the parameters the P10 has, not just the lame ones hptuners provided.

You cant even change injector data on the stock p10. You just play with ms delay and idle VE

This is the reason alot of atalas guys swap the e67 on from a later gen TB so you can use a MAF and have boost control. Thats another thing. The P10 doesnt use a MAF.

Anyways.

With the .bin i broke down and all, i have full access to parameters like map scalars and offset, injector parameters, etc etc. So just like i did with my lumina's P04 ecm, i can do whatever the hell i please haha! The lumina was limited also i had to make about 50 additional parameters just so i could reach peak spool speed and optimal percormance with the 51mm. That thing spooled FAST after i was done tuning it.

It'll be alot of fun. Im gonna fab my own turbo manifold up and run around a
60 something inlet, T3 housing , biggest 1.xx housing i can find.

or a T4 and a smaller housing. Im still debating. I want drivability AND performance, so i wanna be able to cruise around town, out of boost , but stomp it, downshift, and pass a fool easily just like the lumina did.

Simply put, these motors are absolute beasts, and far superior to many modern engine swaps, but theyre unknown by the majority.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yeah I've been eyeing 4200s for a long time now. And studying and learning and all. Ive wanted a 4200 for a couple years, The opportunity arose for me to have this trailblazer for 700$.

The big limiter for boost is the management itself. It doesnt support boost of any sort on the 02-05 P10 ecm.
And its alpha-N based for everything above idle, and you have multiple fuel cells as well as VVT to contend with.

So i'll have to do the fake 2 bar just like i did on the lumina. Not just that but ive opened a .bin up for one and now have ALL the parameters the P10 has, not just the lame ones hptuners provided.

You cant even change injector data on the stock p10. You just play with ms delay and idle VE

This is the reason alot of atalas guys swap the e67 on from a later gen TB so you can use a MAF and have boost control. Thats another thing. The P10 doesnt use a MAF.

Anyways.

With the .bin i broke down and all, i have full access to parameters like map scalars and offset, injector parameters, etc etc. So just like i did with my lumina's P04 ecm, i can do whatever the hell i please haha! The lumina was limited also i had to make about 50 additional parameters just so i could reach peak spool speed and optimal percormance with the 51mm. That thing spooled FAST after i was done tuning it.

It'll be alot of fun. Im gonna fab my own turbo manifold up and run around a
60 something inlet, T3 housing , biggest 1.xx housing i can find.

or a T4 and a smaller housing. Im still debating. I want drivability AND performance, so i wanna be able to cruise around town, out of boost , but stomp it, downshift, and pass a fool easily just like the lumina did.

Simply put, these motors are absolute beasts, and far superior to many modern engine swaps, but theyre unknown by the majority.
It's gonna be fun! keep this thread updated, especially with videos of this thing getting down with the boost!

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Bump! You got this thing breathing fire yet?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Bump! You got this thing breathing fire yet?

Yea, i actually fired it up the other day after finally getting it together together, drove it around a little.

The fuel tank immediately had to come back out. The feed line popped off the fuel pump.... lmao

And im waiting on a good day to go to the junkyard and go get another bumper so i can get it legal and begin playing.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
So monday, on lunch, i put the gas tank back in, after JB welding the filler neck back on, and correct the gas tank's fuel sending unit shenanigans.

Verified she had pressure, cranked it up!

it was running like ****, and had no power, but otherwise would drive around under low load.

So i connected the laptop to the TB and cranked her up and drove it around and analyzed, recorded etc

Its got no power under any loads but otherwise runs ok, intermittently spark knocking just at low load.

I spent a while on the laptop looking frame by frame on Hptuners trying to figure out what the deal is, going thru each sensor's readings, etc...

Then it occured to me. Its a high compression motor stock, the gas smells at least 5 yr old, and im sure Leanna (P/O lol) only ran 87 in it

So no doubt shes struggling to run, but it at leaat made it to 3rd, which means it'll hit 4th. Excellent !

Why exactly it would run on the trailer when i bought it, but now it runs like dog **** confuses me.. but i guess i dont need to know. So when i get the chance i'll dump a good bit of 93 in, and see if it improves .

Either way. I can now get in it, crank it up, turn it on, and drive it around.

Im moving slowly on this along with all my other projects, but something is happening at least.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
The other day i took the instrument panel apart, as nothing was functional on it, did some inspection to find all the solders were ok, so i deduced the stepper motors were probably bad.

I ordered 6 new stepper motors and de-soldered the old ones, soldered new in with my little helper looking on, laid the instrument panel in the dash and turned it on, and thankfully, its working!

Earlier this week i also went to the junkyard and got a metal bumper off a junker for it.
So now all thats missing is the plastic bumper cover...
Curse these plastic cars
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod