Are these mirrors standard equipment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No sir, I only want to see where the factory placement is and your picture has satisfied me. Thanks again.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Outside mirrors on many vehicles are installed at the dealership. I have seen after market mirrors on new cars/trucks in the 70s, right on the lot. Trucks that were not for campers or were sold in mostly car dealerships got the same mirrors that the cars got.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Outside mirrors on many vehicles are installed at the dealership. I have seen after market mirrors on new cars/trucks in the 70s, right on the lot. Trucks that were not for campers or were sold in mostly car dealerships got the same mirrors that the cars got.

As far as the small, car style "sport" mirrors go, the door skin actually had holes stamped from the factory. Then there's a backing plate that goes inside the door that the mirror mount screws to.

Was it possible for a dealer to have new trucks delivered to them with no mirrors at all?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Was it possible for a dealer to have new trucks delivered to them with no mirrors at all?

No - starting in the mid sixties an outside rear view mirror was standard equipment as regulated by the federal government (in other news, outside rear view mirrors were not a requirement until the mid 1960s).

The "sport mirror" that the original poster pictured is RPO D49 and is the standard mirror.

K

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My 78. K10 came with those mirrors as well. Extremely limited options on mine.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I picked up a 78 k10 last summer and never really thought about it, but it has the small sport mirrors on it. I don't see these on trucks very often and don't think I've ever seen them on a K.
You must be registered for see images
They are original.
Page 8 and 9 of Chevrolet pickups 1973-1998

Nellie

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.7L V-6
I have the same small mirrors on my 86 Custom Deluxe fleetside that is pretty much the base model (V6, no AC, AM radio).

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The small sport mirrors were factory on my 74 as well. Replaced them with the tripods when she had the over-the-cab camper all the time, then I swapped those out for the big ol dumbo mirrors when the camper was removed and sold.

Love being able to see everything with the dumbo mirrors, but the small sport mirrors look great on a 2wd.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
No - starting in the mid sixties an outside rear view mirror was standard equipment as regulated by the federal government (in other news, outside rear view mirrors were not a requirement until the mid 1960s).

The "sport mirror" that the original poster pictured is RPO D49 and is the standard mirror.

K

That would explain why Mean Green didn't have a passenger side mirror. It was a '65 with a small sport mirror on the driver's side door and a rear view inside. I don't know how it came from the factory, but that's how it was when grandpa gave it to me. I never thought twice about it. Grandpa had a delivery business, and I used Mean Green (prior to the truck earning that name) for deliveries. I had a load tied down in the bed that blocked the inside rear view so that left me with only one outside mirror. A friend of the family, a highway patrol officer, saw me going down the highway and I watched him flip around and get right behind me, then went way to the right where I couldn't see him. I thought he'd pulled off to turn back around. NOPE! He reappeared behind me and lit me up. He told me if I plan to haul loads like that I need to install a mirror on the passenger side so I can safely change lanes, since the inside mirror was blocked by the load. Granted it was nothing but two-lane highways and back roads there, but I darn sure wasn't going to push my luck. After that delivery I went and got another mirror and installed it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Is this what you're looking for?

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts