Are Drip Rails necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Going to be painting the truck soon and I think it looks cleaner without the drip rails above the door. Any adverse issues with not putting them back on?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
73's didn't have them from the factory, maybe 74's too lol.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think they are designed to collect a certain degree of rain water and channel it away from the tops of the doors.

I suppose that without them water might be allowed run off the roof, flow into the door-cab gap and build up a level on top of the door.

Then, since the rubber seal is attached to the door frame, when the door is opened - and the seal is lost - the water that was puddled on top of the door will drip on your head.

But there are plenty of worse things that might happen to you than that.

Or go pro-active. When it's raining, you could make it a standard practice to open the door and then wait a second before you exit the truck.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Or move to Az. and you don't have to worry about rain, except for three to four times a year.

Seriously. ..I ditched my drip rails when I started the bodywork and paint on my 84 square. I removed all of the body mouldings, wheel well trim and drip rails. I did re attach the cab corner and trim under the rear window.

The main problem that I see and have experienced with the drip rails is that they allow water to penetrate into the cab (since they are attached with rivets, sometimes screws). Many cabs are rotted out and rendered worthless due to the rust down the pillars. I would rather deal with drips when opening the doors than allowing the cab to store rust.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Mine were bolted on, I unbolted them yesterday lol.

ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Or move to Az. and you don't have to worry about rain, except for three to four times a year.

Seriously. ..I ditched my drip rails when I started the bodywork and paint on my 84 square. I removed all of the body mouldings, wheel well trim and drip rails. I did re attach the cab corner and trim under the rear window.

The main problem that I see and have experienced with the drip rails is that they allow water to penetrate into the cab (since they are attached with rivets, sometimes screws). Many cabs are rotted out and rendered worthless due to the rust down the pillars. I would rather deal with drips when opening the doors than allowing the cab to store rust.

Good to know. Mine were held on by rivets but they were garbage. Luckily it looks like one of the few places the truck doesn't have rust at. :cheers:

I will definitely be leaving the drip rails off. Looks so much cleaner without the rails or the side moldings.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good to know. Mine were held on by rivets but they were garbage. Luckily it looks like one of the few places the truck doesn't have rust at. :cheers:

I will definitely be leaving the drip rails off. Looks so much cleaner without the rails or the side moldings.

I concur :cheers: simple, smooth and clean. I removed all the badging as well. People already recognize the truck as a Chevy so why advertise? The chrome side mouldings look like garbage once they age since they're made of flexible plastic clad in fake aluminum.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I concur :cheers: simple, smooth and clean. I removed all the badging as well. People already recognize the truck as a Chevy so why advertise? The chrome side mouldings look like garbage once they age since they're made of flexible plastic clad in fake aluminum.

I've been working on the same thing, for the price of some Custom Deluxe emblems, I'd rather just weld them shut lol.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think it looks better...

Last edited:

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
PO had them off when he got the truck painted. Took me awhile to realize they were gone lol. Too me it looks better without them but like i said i didn't notice for awhile. As for adverse effects from weather, my truck sits in the barn every night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pasturepilot