Are all 350 Chevys mostly the same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Dude...
No.

Do yourself a favor and build a 1 piece RMS block. 87 - 92 LO5. The dipstick switched sides and the timing cover is different (oil pan) from a 2 piece RMS block. You'll have to make certain the fuel pump pushrod (pump BOSS) is drilled through because some (most?) were NOT. BUT that's not a deal breaker - your machine shop can fix it NP but be aware of that potential pitfall.
What you REALLY want is an LO5 block out of a big body CAR. This may be factory roller cammed, one piece RMS, maybe oil cooler- and if you look long enough you can find one with the pushrod hole drilled to mount a mechanical fuel pump without delay.

Think ROADMASTER , PARK AVENUE - C and B body cars , Caprice, Impala, even some Cadillacs had Chevrolet LO5 engines. Take your time and you can find the right one. Build a car motor and put it in your truck.
All 350s were NOT created equal - contrary to the other replies in this thread.. :blah: i'm here to help and know what i'm talkin about lol.

Build an early LO5 out of a car.

87-92 but really 1988 CAR engines MAY be roller motors, no truck engine will be - dont bother looking. That hard part has been done for you. Car engines only.. 87 may be too early 92 may be too late. 1988, 1989 prolly the best shot at a roller motor, drilled fuel pump boss. Unicorn carb motor in a TBI car. They're out there..a bunch. Lotta lookin. 87,88,89..
Camaro and Firebird have good LO5s and in my experience those pushrods arent drilled but thats where the good heads come from.

#083 is the best cast iron not vortex cylinder head ever made. That's what you want Screw vortex. Trans Am ,GTA, IROC, Z-28. #083 F body heads on a 1988 L05 out of a Roadmaster.

Good luck.

Hope this helps!
:waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

These cars had BAD.ASS. 350s. :headbang:
"Euro" front end Caprice? Rounded turns. Yeah baby!

Those two roadies shown would be of the lt1 variety fyi. A whole nother problem child engine.

To get the tbi 350 you would be looking for 91-93.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
gen i, gen ii, gen iii.... gen ii being your tbi. gen 3 being LS family. Confusing, Gm is producing new gen 2 engines called gen 1.... but they were late late gen 2... its weird.
Square bodies were all fitted from factory with gen ii, you should have little trouble getting any gen ii to work. if you go carbureted, easy peasy. if you want to retin tbi you have some work but not a terrible amount of it to go., Just know that BOP engines have small block 350s as well and only the oldsmobile 350 diesel was used in a square the rest never touched them but can be made to work if you are invested
Interesting. Knowing this information, I guess my question then is what is the difference between all the gen i engines. I know I don't want to try an LS swap or TBI swap, but I am curious whether there is a difference between the 350 engine in a 1967 chevy truck vs a 1978 350 in a truck like mine? were there any performance upgrades done or are they all exactly the same year to year?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Google image results for 1988 Buick Roadmaster
Well Google is ******* retarded then. There weren't any 88 roadies. Caprice name ran continuous through the years, roadmaster did not.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
*clocks out*
Fight amongst yourselves.
Wtf do you have against learning?

I'm quite familiar with those years of Buicks. Anything in particular you would you like to know?

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you racing the truck? Lt1’s are great, make great power and are usually iron blocks and iron heads . If you get the Camaro version with aluminum heads . Well there another HP increase, but engines like that run a certain required temp for the computer to achieve optimal performance. I’ve got one been running for years , when it comes to a 1985 K10 I like any 350 in the 1974 to 1976 range basic reliable and parts are cheap . My block # 3970010 4bolt . Even a 2 bolt will run like Scalded dog . Your preference basically

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Interesting. Knowing this information, I guess my question then is what is the difference between all the gen i engines. I know I don't want to try an LS swap or TBI swap, but I am curious whether there is a difference between the 350 engine in a 1967 chevy truck vs a 1978 350 in a truck like mine? were there any performance upgrades done or are they all exactly the same year to year?
Im guessing the head on a 78 350 wouldn’t be better than the first few years of the 350. Late 70s anything will be the early stages of smog era. Where they were really doggy.

Reactions: WFO

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A park avenue model wouldnt have came with a chevy 350, as the name plate was introduced in 1991 as a model to replace the electra. the electra park avenue(high trim) was used to 1990. The buick ESTATE wagon, which you are thinking of the roadmaster, which a roadmaster has a LT1 i think and came back in 92, would have an olds or chevy small block. i think estate wagon lasted till 91 or 92.
my electra has a buick 350 but wish it had this cool one rusty speaks of

CrazyArk

Reaction score
First Name
Ark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
355 (0.030+)
For the oddness mix. 1986 was the "special" year. Last year of the true carb atop the 350, but the first with a one piece rear main. It was also the last year to retain the angled manifold bolt down holes, where in 87, IIRC they went to the straight down with the introduction of the... sheer confusion I feel is TBI.

While I lucked out and had a set of large intake valve heads to use, it was still a relief that I didnt have a roller cam, wanted to learn the old school before even trying the new. Just if you do the flat tappet, if the lifter doesnt go in smooth, dont force it, and very much obey assembly instructions any cam shop directs for break in.

But to knock aside any of my rambling... the 350s did change here and there. Metal quality can change. There is the known "high nickel" blocks of the 73-74 era that some builders still enjoy to this day. Then like others said, the roller cams... thusly all the dfferent generations. I, II, III, IV, V... etc etc.

The heads sure as heck have a well documented legacy, eyeball the numbers closely, I have one set here that are the boat anchor "thin casting" version of the 882 heads. Plus you have the newer... much as i hate to say it, aluminum ones that are made. (I dislike the iron block/aluminum head idea, even if its sheds weight and can improve performance with a modern head design.) I personally chose to use Goodwrench Made in Mexico 882 clones of the 369 line, and they have done me good to the extent I drove from northern AZ clear to Buffalo NY and back, and not once did that engine show a single issue.

Last edited:

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
283,307,327,305,350,400 all gm small blocks, all have same bellhousing and motor mount locations, accessory bracketry varies throught each generation, cylinder heads are the biggest change in all the motors, any cylinder from 72 and later until you get into the 90's vortec stuff is gonna be low HP, or the hipo small chamber 305 heads from the 80's make a damn good street setup.

thruthfully I prefer the old 327's and 307 motors for trucks, short stroke motor come right up off idle and are ready to work.

the early 90's 350's like the cadillac brougham and others had are very good engines, but the only make 175HP in stock trim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84