Are all 350 Chevys mostly the same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have started searching for a 350 to buy as a winter project for my truck. I want to build it up on my free time and then swap it in when I have the time. This way I'm not without a truck for however long it takes to rebuild the engine.

Anyway, I was originally searching for the same year 350, but I'm curious what changed about the 350 over the years. Were they all the same until the tbi 350? They all look pretty much the same to me but I know that probably isn't the case. Can someone educate me?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
gen i, gen ii, gen iii.... gen ii being your tbi. gen 3 being LS family. Confusing, Gm is producing new gen 2 engines called gen 1.... but they were late late gen 2... its weird.
Square bodies were all fitted from factory with gen ii, you should have little trouble getting any gen ii to work. if you go carbureted, easy peasy. if you want to retin tbi you have some work but not a terrible amount of it to go., Just know that BOP engines have small block 350s as well and only the oldsmobile 350 diesel was used in a square the rest never touched them but can be made to work if you are invested

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
what year truck do u have

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Any 350 will fit in your truck. Some will need a different manifold, such as a 96-02 vortec 350.

1-piece RMS started in 86 and will require a different flex plate/flywheel than your truck. The accessory/front drive arrangement will vary too.

The easiest would either be a first gen 350 from around your era or a complete takeout with the accessory brackets, etc.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I going to pretty much echo what everyone else has said. Yes, there are differences, but any 350 will fit. If it were me I'd look for one closeish to the year truck you have, but note the year of the engine for future parts ordering. I will say one thing though, when it's time for my truck to get a new motor it's definitely getting vortec heads, for the increase in HP even though I will keep it as carbureted.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude...
No.

Do yourself a favor and build a 1 piece RMS block. 87 - 92 LO5. The dipstick switched sides and the timing cover is different (oil pan) from a 2 piece RMS block. You'll have to make certain the fuel pump pushrod (pump BOSS) is drilled through because some (most?) were NOT. BUT that's not a deal breaker - your machine shop can fix it NP but be aware of that potential pitfall.
What you REALLY want is an LO5 block out of a big body CAR. This may be factory roller cammed, one piece RMS, maybe oil cooler- and if you look long enough you can find one with the pushrod hole drilled to mount a mechanical fuel pump without delay.

Think ROADMASTER , PARK AVENUE - C and B body cars , Caprice, Impala, even some Cadillacs had Chevrolet LO5 engines. Take your time and you can find the right one. Build a car motor and put it in your truck.
All 350s were NOT created equal - contrary to the other replies in this thread.. :blah: i'm here to help and know what i'm talkin about lol.

Build an early LO5 out of a car.

87-92 but really 1988 CAR engines MAY be roller motors, no truck engine will be - dont bother looking. That hard part has been done for you. Car engines only.. 87 may be too early 92 may be too late. 1988, 1989 prolly the best shot at a roller motor, drilled fuel pump boss. Unicorn carb motor in a TBI car. They're out there..a bunch. Lotta lookin. 87,88,89..
Camaro and Firebird have good LO5s and in my experience those pushrods arent drilled but thats where the good heads come from.

#083 is the best cast iron not vortex cylinder head ever made. That's what you want Screw vortex. Trans Am ,GTA, IROC, Z-28. #083 F body heads on a 1988 L05 out of a Roadmaster.

Good luck.

Hope this helps!
:waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

These cars had BAD.ASS. 350s. :headbang:
"Euro" front end Caprice? Rounded turns. Yeah baby!

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Dude...
No.

Do yourself a favor and build a 1 piece RMS block. 87 - 92 LO5. The dipstick switched sides and the timing cover is different (oil pan) from a 2 piece RMS block. You'll have to make certain the fuel pump pushrod (pump BOSS) is drilled through because some (most?) were NOT. BUT that's not a deal breaker - your machine shop can fix it NP but be aware of that potential pitfall.
What you REALLY want is an LO5 block out of a big body CAR. This may be factory roller cammed, one piece RMS, maybe oil cooler- and if you look long enough you can find one with the pushrod hole drilled to mount a mechanical fuel pump without delay.

Think ROADMASTER , PARK AVENUE - C and B body cars , Caprice, Impala, even some Cadillacs had Chevrolet LO5 engines. Take your time and you can find the right one. Build a car motor and put it in your truck.
All 350s were NOT created equal - contrary to the other replies in this thread.. :blah: i'm here to help and know what i'm talkin about lol.

Build an early LO5 out of a car.

87-92 but really 1988 CAR engines MAY be roller motors, no truck engine will be - dont bother looking. That hard part has been done for you. Car engines only.. 87 may be too early 92 may be too late. 1988, 1989 prolly the best shot at a roller motor, drilled fuel pump boss. Unicorn carb motor in a TBI car. They're out there..a bunch. Lotta lookin. 87,88,89..
Camaro and Firebird have good LO5s and in my experience those pushrods arent drilled but thats where the good heads come from.

#083 is the best cast iron not vortex cylinder head ever made. That's what you want Screw vortex. Trans Am ,GTA, IROC, Z-28. #083 F body heads on a 1988 L05 out of a Roadmaster.

Good luck.

Hope this helps!
:waytogo:

These cars had BAD.ASS. 350s. :headbang:
"Euro" front end Caprice? Rounded turns. Yeah baby!

The buick roadmaster's 350 really is a hoss for what it is.

My incompotent cousin has one, its got a overheating issue, ive diagnosed what it is, but he thinks its something else, its beyond help he says.
Hes considering sending her to the scrapyard and i say, please do! But let me yank that block out first!

(Sorry, the caprice reminded me of that)

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vortec heads live inside Rusty Nails' head rent free. :insane:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
lol :mad: grrr

Like some kind of extremely expensive magical elixir cure-all. Wonderment of teh vortex heads!

Ever notice how nobody does that swap and raves on and on about how fricking awesome it is? Never hear the and then part of that story. Its just about new intakes and exhausts and fuel pumps , head cracks, machine shops, valvesprings, camshafts and pains in the ass.

Never hear anything else about it AFTER the fact.

:shrug: swap to vortex heads AND THEN your thread dies probably because youre broke lol. Still gettin your ass spanked my my Blazer... ;)

"30 horse" for HOW MUCH? mmm great deal - worth it. Glad I did it. Never been a problem since. I win every drag race and now whup up on a 6.0.

Gtfo of here.

Nope. Never hear that.
Might as well watch TV - buncha freakin zombies..

Vooorrtexxx VooOOORRRrrrteeexx

Black rimmmmmmm ! vorteeecks!

Last edited:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'll take the 1970 LT-1, with solid lifters, 11:1 compression, high-performance camshaft, and a 780 CFM Holley four-barrel carburetor that sent fuel and air through an aluminum intake manifold. Exhaust gasses exited the combustion chamber through ramhorn manifolds and high-flow exhaust. In 1970, the LT-1 cranked out 370 horsepower (gross) and was available in the Corvette ZR-1 and Camaro Z28.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I used to think that I needed a '010' block to get a good one but now I think the reality is that unless you are runnin big boost or squeeze - bothering to find an old school "high nickel" simply isnt worth it. It won't offer any benefit in the parking lot or light to light. In that sense , yeah..theyre pretty much all the same however they're all different.
Lookit this list here.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/reference-chevy-engine-block-casting-numbers/

There sure is a bunch to choose from (90.,00,000) and if youre just goin to the store with a stock rebuild? then yeah it's not gonna matter which one ya run. There's no good reason to source an 010 ,4 bolt or to bother with a centerbolt one piece to drive to church on Sundays in.

BUT a one piece block wont leak oil like the old 2 piece blocks do...that's the draw - plus you could run a roller and a 1 piece roller CAR block is gonna make more power , easier than an old 2 piece TRUCK block.
Know what i'm sayin?:deal:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
lol :mad: grrr

Like some kind of extremely expensive magical elixir cure-all. Wonderment of teh vortex heads!

Ever notice how nobody does that swap and raves on and on about how fricking awesome it is? Never hear the and then part of that story. Its just about new intakes and exhausts and fuel pumps , head cracks, machine shops, valvesprings, camshafts and pains in the ass.

Never hear anything else about it AFTER the fact.

:shrug: swap to vortex heads AND THEN your thread dies probably because youre broke lol. Still gettin your ass spanked my my Blazer... ;)

"30 horse" for HOW MUCH? mmm great deal - worth it. Glad I did it. Never been a problem since. I win every drag race and now whup up on a 6.0.

Gtfo of here.

Nope. Never hear that.
Might as well watch TV - buncha freakin zombies..

Vooorrtexxx VooOOORRRrrrteeexx

Black rimmmmmmm ! vorteeecks!

I have vortec heads on my "snack wagon" suburban's 350.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify