anyone use seafoam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
has anyone used seafoam? does it really remove a lot of carbon deposits? let me know your experiences..

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
I've ran it in both my 79's and seemed to help a little, I have nothing against it

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
it sorta works for mine helped on the dieseling when i would turn it off. best luck i had is using berryman's B12 chemtool in my truck every fill up

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've used it all 3 ways, in the fuel, in the oil, and sucked it in a vac line. Without doubt, it cleans crankcases and fuel systems. I have put 1/2 can in my crankcase about 300 miles before I was going to change my oil. After that, my oil stays gold for 3000 miles. I also used it with the vac line method and I have to wonder if that is why my Cat clogged up on my box van. I have also ran 1/2 can in the fuel tank of about 10-15 gallons of gas and it did seem to smooth out my idle on my carbed vehicles. I can only guess it cleaned out the idle circuits in the carb. :shrug: I am more convinced that it will clean your crankcase for sure. Mine are not that dirty anyway, but anything that was there was gone after running the seafoam.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I've used it all 3 ways, in the fuel, in the oil, and sucked it in a vac line. Without doubt, it cleans crankcases and fuel systems. I have put 1/2 can in my crankcase about 300 miles before I was going to change my oil. After that, my oil stays gold for 3000 miles. I also used it with the vac line method and I have to wonder if that is why my Cat clogged up on my box van. I have also ran 1/2 can in the fuel tank of about 10-15 gallons of gas and it did seem to smooth out my idle on my carbed vehicles. I can only guess it cleaned out the idle circuits in the carb. :shrug: I am more convinced that it will clean your crankcase for sure. Mine are not that dirty anyway, but anything that was there was gone after running the seafoam.

That's the very reason I'm hesitant to suck it in the intake. My truck is still running the orig cat, and I'm afraid that blowing all that crap outta my system might be more than it could take.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Your original cat is probably just a burned out shell at this point. Mine was toast five years ago at 150,000 miles.

gcochran223

Reaction score
First Name
gordon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
i have used it and it seems to work on idle, its fun as hell if you have duals and can get a decent gasser smoke show going.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Your original cat is probably just a burned out shell at this point. Mine was toast five years ago at 150,000 miles.

I've only got about 117,000 on mine. At the rate I drive it, I can get another 8-10 years on it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's original Derek, it can still be blown out. The catalyst does harden and become brittle, from getting hot, but age takes its toll too. If you're lucky the catalyst is breaking away in find granuals and you're blowing out the tailpipe. Otherwise, at the most unimoppurtune time, like when you need to depend on the truck, the catalyst will melt down like candle wax, then cool into a blob and clog up and then you're a sitting duck going nowhere. Had I known for sure my Cat was bad when I was broke down 400 miles from home, I'd have sawed the pipe off, ran me about 4 1in holes through the converter, then clamp the pipe back on. But NO, I drilled about 20 3/8 holes in the bottom and sides of it so it could blow the junk out and run enough to get me back home. It worked. I just didn't have the option with very little to no tools out of state. That converter is over $500 for my E350 with the 460. I can get after Magnaflow for about $289 I beleive it was, and what I intend to do. It's a dual bed converter with air injection into both beds. Kinda sucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I can't remember, did you buy yours new? The original cats are the old pellet type with a round plug in the convertor body. Someone could have emptied it and put the plug back in.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
My 92 S10 clogged up around 200 thousand on freaking christmas night 80 miles from home. Luckily i got home and when i did i didnt need a flashlightg to see the cat under the truck. The next day i unbolted the cat and busted the guts out and the bolted it back in and havent looked back lol.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
What about zmax anyone here tried that stuff???

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If it's original Derek, it can still be blown out. The catalyst does harden and become brittle, from getting hot, but age takes its toll too. If you're lucky the catalyst is breaking away in find granuals and you're blowing out the tailpipe. Otherwise, at the most unimoppurtune time, like when you need to depend on the truck, the catalyst will melt down like candle wax, then cool into a blob and clog up and then you're a sitting duck going nowhere. Had I known for sure my Cat was bad when I was broke down 400 miles from home, I'd have sawed the pipe off, ran me about 4 1in holes through the converter, then clamp the pipe back on. But NO, I drilled about 20 3/8 holes in the bottom and sides of it so it could blow the junk out and run enough to get me back home. It worked. I just didn't have the option with very little to no tools out of state. That converter is over $500 for my E350 with the 460. I can get after Magnaflow for about $289 I beleive it was, and what I intend to do. It's a dual bed converter with air injection into both beds. Kinda sucks.

Yeah, I know HRPC. Just joking around w/skysurfer. It would be good to know if it's pellets or not though. I had a Honda in college that had the CC going out from time to time. Usually, I'd pull over and bang on it, and it would start right up. A few times, I had to just let it sit for about an hour, then it would start up and run fine. Luckily, the tail-pipe failed just behind the CC, so I took, a hammer and steel pipe and chiseled the guts out while I had it open. That thing blew all kinds of crap on the ground when I started it up! LOL

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I dont use seafoam but I use to. It will destroy a fuel pump if you use it every time at the pump or overdose it. I use Star Tron and you cant overdose it.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I dont use seafoam but I use to. It will destroy a fuel pump if you use it every time at the pump or overdose it. I use Star Tron and you cant overdose it.

i would like to see the proof of that, use it all summer in the bike and lawn mower with no ill effects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76