anyone use seafoam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i use seafoam once a year usually a 1/3 in the gas tank 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 through the brake booster vacuum line or pcv valve line which ever one.

on my lawnmowers and trucks i use a berryman's B12 chemtool because gas is not great quality here all gas is E5.

and the biggest problem is disolved fuel lines and white gooey scale in the carbs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't use seafoam every time either. I use it in my fuel about once every 3 months, or every 5000-8000 miles or so, and I am very happy with the results. I am also very happy with the happy with the results using in my crankcase about every 5th-6th oil change or so too. I know for a fact it makes a certain norticeable difference. If it's a noticeable difference that tells me it's making a big difference. BUT, and I still wondering if its fully safe for cats or not. Or maybe just ailing Cats? :shrug: I do know for a fact it works in that way too, I just wonder if it might not be a better idea to take your cat off to run that portion of product where you let it suck into the cylinders then let it soak on the carbon deposits in the cylinders before you blow it all out. I won't have that problem on most of my trucks though since they won't have Cats and not required to have Cats.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I use i t every 6 months. works wonders in the lawnmower too.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
i would like to see the proof of that, use it all summer in the bike and lawn mower with no ill effects

I would like to see that proof as well.

I have used it in all 3 ways. Best use I have found is during an oil change. For internal carbon in the motor I still use ATF or a little diesel. But I have never heard of seafoam damaging anything.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Man, I haven't done the ATF oil change in MANY years!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You'll get 10 different answers at how often you should do it. I say for a normal daily driver, every 50,000 should be good. If you tow alot, or carry heavy weight, go wheeling alot, run biggo tires,then do it every 30-36,000 depending on how rough and how often you're abusing it.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
You'll get 10 different answers at how often you should do it. I say for a normal daily driver, every 50,000 should be good. If you tow alot, or carry heavy weight, go wheeling alot, run biggo tires,then do it every 30-36,000 depending on how rough and how often you're abusing it.

or just substitute for a quart of marvel mystery oil every other oil change

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I watched a guy years ago pour a pint of brake fluid down the carb with the engine running then hold it almost wide pen and then pour a pint of water down the carb right after and hold it wide open till it cleared out. Always wondered how bad that was on the engine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
or just substitute for a quart of marvel mystery oil every other oil change

ATF Oil Change is reffering to Automatic Trans Fluid.

joninva

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30 3+3
Engine Size
I use seafoam all the time in the fuel. Its great on clearing out sticking fuel injectors. It keeps carbs. on small engines in good shape after winter storage.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8

Not really what i was talking about. I was referring to pouring a quart of ATF down the carb or throttle body when its running. it breaks up carbon in the motor.

Smokes a bit but seems to do wonders, That and I add a gallon of diesel to my fuel every 6 months or so when the tank is near full. It does the same thing.

brake fluid sounds like a bad idea. I have heard of people using water, but I am not pouring water into my running engine, ever.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Water? In my engine? No thanks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Actually, water doesn't hurt a normal operating temperature running motor going down the intake. The water is almost instantly turned to steam vapor. Took me some getting used to, but I had an old time friend do a water injection system on one of his trucks to try it out. He drove for at least a year I know of without problems. I moved to OK, and never heard anything else about it though.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I run a quart of ATF in my crankcase...My engines are so clean inside, you can eat off them and I change the oil like once a year since I drive them just enough to get them good and warm.

Water injection was pretty popular in the 50s and 60s and there are still kits out there available. I know a sponsor of the Alex Jones Show have them but can't remember off hand who.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Actually, water doesn't hurt a normal operating temperature running motor going down the intake. The water is almost instantly turned to steam vapor. Took me some getting used to, but I had an old time friend do a water injection system on one of his trucks to try it out. He drove for at least a year I know of without problems. I moved to OK, and never heard anything else about it though.

Its really the best way to clean up the combustion chambers, I do it once in a while. You can always tell which cylinder the had gasket blows in, its the cylinder with the piston that looks nice and shiny new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
builder100