Anyone still have an In-line 6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
Everyone's had a V8 - Ha -Ha.

Looking for guys out there that still like the old inlines as I do.
The old inlines are dang near bulletproof - I've owned them in Jeeps, Fords and Chevy's.
I picked up an old barn find farm truck(not inside the barn -go figure right)- but outside.
Put a rebuilt carb on it - new mechanical fuel - a few gaskets - tune-up - belts and away I go ( oh can't forget Seafoam & fresh gas) - can't forget the scraping of the wasps nests in every crevice and corner. Oil- still black as coal- I did change it eventually ( uses a quart a week - so self replenishing with fresh)

Replaced the sticky melting GM steering wheel (what the crap did they make these out of taffy maybe) w/ a Grant. Threw a seatcover on her - tore the dash apart and recovered with speaker felt ( wasp condos)- deluxe cupholders and a high dollar radio cassette player -( I know you guys are jealous now)-- it already had a beautiful 1970's gun rack - priceless. Oh and installed some gauges vs. idiot lights.

Have fun tell me about yours - chime in - you can see the pic's in my album.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I was planning to keep the Straight six in my 84 until I pulled the heads and found the bores rusted like crazy and the head cracked to hell. PO let it sit after it overheated...

I was going to rebuild it, but had a TBI 305 sitting in the garage, so opted for that instead for cost reasons.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
That's rough - I'd like to replace my engine with an earlier in line 6- as mine has the horrible integrated head as well. Still running now though -the number 1 cylinder loads the plug every couple of weeks worn ring most likely possibly valve wear.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was planning to keep the Straight six in my 84 until I pulled the heads and found the bores rusted like crazy and the head cracked to hell. PO let it sit after it overheated...

I was going to rebuild it, but had a TBI 305 sitting in the garage, so opted for that instead for cost reasons.

I still think I would have put an early head on it and run it to see what would happen.

That's rough - I'd like to replace my engine with an earlier in line 6- as mine has the horrible integrated head as well. Still running now though -the number 1 cylinder loads the plug every couple of weeks worn ring most likely possibly valve wear.

I had a 250 in a '79 Blazer, I don't know if it was an older engine or just an older head, but it wasn't integral anymore. I had to run anti-foulers on three of the cylinders, but it ran like a watch. It lost oil so fast that I couldn't always keep up with it, and ran it countless times until rods were knocking and power was lost. I'd just stop and fill 'er back up and it was fine once the oil circulated.

Of course, it was partially my fault it leaked oil so bad. I blew out the rear main seal when I decided to see how fast the truck would go. I never found out either, as I backed off when the interior started filling with smoke. Miss that truck...

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
i have an 83 with an inline 6 that sits at home and hasnt ran in about 10 years so i got the idea to see if it still ran and surprise enough it started right up after pouring gas into the carb and ran like a top

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
attachment.php

I want one of these induction systems and put it on a 292 with a turbo. In Brazil, the 250 had port fuel injection and all the modern goodies.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I love inlines, and may own one some day. they run so smooth.

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
That port injection is interesting. I've seen a couple of videos ( mainly cars w/inline 6"s) where they did a blow thru or draw thru turbo actually sounded really mean. Not sure about reliability though. Appreciate you guys chiming in - I thought the inline was dead a couple still out there......

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That port injection is interesting. I've seen a couple of videos ( mainly cars w/inline 6"s) where they did a blow thru or draw thru turbo actually sounded really mean. Not sure about reliability though. Appreciate you guys chiming in - I thought the inline was dead a couple still out there......

Should be pretty reliable, as long as the compression stays low.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I wish I still had my old wrecker with the 292 I6. It ran like a swiss watch, got good milage, and had plenty of power.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
May sound counter productive, but one of those 292's with a draw through turbo and a heat sheild encapsulating the intake and exhaust manifold(yes, super heating the intake) and a dual jet Carb, will get around 30 mpg. would pass a sniffer test in Cali with no cat too.

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
It's definiely true - there doesn't seem to many 6's out there anymore?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Years ago Dad and I built a junkyard 292 to replace an Iron Duke in a 19' bowrider. That engine was EXCELLENT. Power characteristics akin to a diesel. It would get up on plane fully loaded with ridiculous ease. It got 4x the mileage of the 21' 350 powered boat that replaced it once we got the Qjet dialed in. It was 1/2 the cost of building a V8 as the marine manifolds are so expensive, and the I6 only needed one ;)

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I had a 250 iirc in my 67 chevy II 3spd on the column and that sucker run damn good. I continplated putting one in my k5 at one point but I like my v8 and I'd hate to buy one rebuild t and not like the way it powered the k5. Regardless great mileage and had the 120mph pegged and let off as it felt like car was floating and didn't take long to get it up to speed. I miss that car got it from an old lady $500 drove it home after filling the point with a finger nail file and with 2.5 gallon gas can bungee corded to the fender for the gas tank. Damn smooth riding car. It was fun on the backroads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88