any special tools?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
im about to go off to college, so im saving up to get some tools to start off my own tool box.. my question is are there any special tools(not your standard wrenches or sockets or anything) that are used enough that i might want to get for working on my truck?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
good torque wrench, timing light, voltmeter/test light, snap ring pliers, laser thermometer, file, pick tool set, tap and die set ............................ Just name a few extra I use quite often yet

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
good torque wrench, timing light, voltmeter/test light, snap ring pliers, laser thermometer, file, pick tool set, tap and die set ............................ Just name a few extra I use quite often yet

Good advice above. Don't worry about buying any specialty type pullers or anything right now, you can borrow those from the parts stores for free. 1 other tool that is very useful to have is a vacuum gauge. Spark testers are nice at times but not a must have.

Your skillset will most likely dictate what tools you should be purchasing.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
yea I forgot about vacumn gage. I never use one I've learned to feel vacumn from experiance tho. These are tools that you will use more than you think and most are not that expensive

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I can't live without a nice set of dental picks. I have a set of 4 craftsman ones that have been an amazing add-on to my toolbox. I know that it isn't specialty but I couldn't live without them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vNLP3wYuTM
I also got a set of these for christmas and I love them too. Northern sells a set just like it for less than half

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'd also recommend a set of good, SHARP drill bits. Northern Tool has a nice set of Cobalt Steel bits. I've got a set, and they are AWESOME, just use a little cutting oil on them and go slow, and they cut through steel like it's butter. They are true cobalt bits, not coated. They are also made in the USA!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7899_7899

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco