Any One use EFI Live?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I'm swapping in a 2002 vortec 8.1 in my truck. I have cut down a factory harness, and mounted the motor on a stand. I wanted to start the motor and run it before I put it in, but it will not start. I can prime it and it will hit but not run. Once it tries to start,the injectors shut down. I need the anti theft in the computer shut off, with a few other things done. There is a local guy that ASKED me if he could do it, but I have waited for 6 weeks and he hasn't gotten to it. He just took over a huge shop here in town and that is why he's short on time. I would love to lean about the EFI Live stuff, but don't have the $1800 for the hardware to program it.

So, anybody have the stuff to help out? Anybody use EFI Live or HP Tuners?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm swapping in a 2002 vortec 8.1 in my truck. I have cut down a factory harness, and mounted the motor on a stand. I wanted to start the motor and run it before I put it in, but it will not start. I can prime it and it will hit but not run. Once it tries to start,the injectors shut down. I need the anti theft in the computer shut off, with a few other things done. There is a local guy that ASKED me if he could do it, but I have waited for 6 weeks and he hasn't gotten to it. He just took over a huge shop here in town and that is why he's short on time. I would love to lean about the EFI Live stuff, but don't have the $1800 for the hardware to program it.

Everything we deal with here is obd1, except for a few LSx conversions, who I think have just left everything stock, right down to the passkey. You can take your completed conversion into a GM dealer, and they will flash the VATS out...dunno how much it costs though.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1800? EFI Live or HP Tuners can be had for ~700

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
Well the dude called today. We disabled the vats, egr, and a few other things. It wouldn't start. Used scanner to fire injectors and no fuel through them. I get it home and pulled the fuel rails and injectors. They were full of old dried up fuel crap. Going to clean it all out and give it an other try tomorrow.

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i would go with HP tuners. i have a thread up for tuning strictly with HPtuners, i will be posting more as soon as i figure out how to tune into further depth.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
i would go with HP tuners. i have a thread up for tuning strictly with HPtuners, i will be posting more as soon as i figure out how to tune into further depth.

Thanks for the info. Can you post a link to your thread? I'm interested in the tuning part as well.

Did get the 8.1 started and running after pulling and cleaning the fuel rail and injectors.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

wish I could help, I love doing the conversion's it gives me a good feeling when i get to hear it fir up for the first time. I would love to get into the tuning part as well, but hate to spend the money to do it. I had thought if there was someone in my area that would share the same interest we could possibly split the cost of everything. But so far I haven't found anyone willing to do it.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I'm in the same boat. I would love to get into it deeper, but can't justify the cost. The local guy that wants to help opened a huge repair shop and has no time to play. He has both HP Tuners and EFI Live. He also has the add on O2 sniffer for performance tuning / fine tuning. I'm going to bug the hell out of him and maybe he will let me use it so I will leave him alone. Lol!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man