Anti theft devices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Mine being all mechanical, from windows, including the rear window to fuel pump. My only recourse is leaving Tcase in neutral and hoping the thieves are dumb. Or taking the battery out but still, even those cut off switches won't be much of a deterrent with a capable thief who knows old vehicles.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Well I was suggesting really any kind of quality electronic alarm system.
You can wire in sirens, shock sensors, motion sensors, door sensors, hood sensor, glass break sensors, starter disconnects, backup batteries, remote door locks, remote windows, remote start, text, wireless paging. The list goes on and on depending upon how much money you want to spend.
Viper is a brand which I believe to be fairly high quality. I have one in my one of my other classic cars.
I had exactly the problem worried about. My wife went into the grocery store for 15 minutes, parked our '89 Blazer. Came back out and the only thing in the parking lot was a small pile of glass.
Police actually recovered the vehicle about 2 weeks later. However it had been completely raped. They had smashed the vent window, from there it's a simple matter to actuate the power door lock switch. Boom they're in.
As noted the steering column lock was destroyed and off they went.
At the time I had an under dash kill switch however it wasn't being utilized. Not sure it would have helped because I do believe the thieves are smart enough to look for these under the dash.

There's another kind of kill switch system that can be purchased that utilizes one, two, or three switches.
And it's impossible for a thief to understand what position all three switches must be in, and in what order they must be turned on, to enable engine start. I was thinking about investigating that. I'll see if I can find a link for it.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'll say it again,and I'll say it everytime someone wants to do a hidden kill switch,high tech alarm etc. A fuel cut off solenoid mounted and triggered however you want.An instant on alarm,no lights,no stickers,no warning. Leave the doors unlocked,they see an easy target open the door,and SURPRIZE instant on alarm,no broken windows damaged doors etc.If that doesn't discourage them, when they smash the column and it starts then drives 15 feet where it dies and sticks out like a sore thumb. They are not going to comb the car looking for a fuel cut off,while other motorists police etc are offering to help. They are going to abandon your car right there.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Have been thinking about adding an electronic immobilizer (Fob) system of some sort to control the ignition, crank and fuel pump circuits on my project.
Does anyone have experience with a decent system that won't break the bank? Seems to be a pile of cheep junky looking stuff out there when searching. Maybe not using the right search words?
Would also set it up with a hard to reach and hidden bypass circuit, but hoping that would never be needed.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
I'll say it again,and I'll say it everytime someone wants to do a hidden kill switch,high tech alarm etc. A fuel cut off solenoid mounted and triggered however you want.An instant on alarm,no lights,no stickers,no warning. Leave the doors unlocked,they see an easy target open the door,and SURPRIZE instant on alarm,no broken windows damaged doors etc.If that doesn't discourage them, when they smash the column and it starts then drives 15 feet where it dies and sticks out like a sore thumb. They are not going to comb the car looking for a fuel cut off,while other motorists police etc are offering to help. They are going to abandon your car right there.
I think your idea is good and maybe the best option?
For my application though, the vehicle will be left unattended in remote wilderness for extended periods. I can see an alarm helping if parked under your window at night but not in all scenarios.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've always thought of using a high beam switch as a start button. Yes, if you have the older squares you would need to update the steering column with the high beam and change the foot pedal to a momentary switch. Turn the key to run then hit the momentary switch for the starter. No wires in the column hot wire, not breaking out the ignition cylinder and turning it to start. Theives may damage the column and whatnot but you'll still have your truck

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
It’s a tough call between actual security measures and purely visual deterrents. Although anything that helps one sleep at night.
There’s not really a “wrong” answer, just varying levels of real, or perceived, effectiveness and even that varies, situationally.
Like the hats your highest potential or what are you primarily guarding against? Because parked at home in a garage while you’re away from home is different than Walmart parking lot prowlers, which is different than leaving the rig unattended at a trailhead in the woods for hours or days.

And then just where you live and how apt it is in general, to get stolen….
I went with the $5 simple, hidden (different than most claim to “hide” a switch) that creates confusion for the car thief AFTER stealing it.
Fits our scenario the most as the highest likelihood of theft is a local parking lot and one can’t reasonably actively prevent access into a 40 year old truck and the ignitions are as simple as they get. And anything “solid” in the way is much easier removed in recent years with good battery power tools. So why fight that stuff? I’ve seen many failed and successful thefts on company trucks, newer than squarebodys obviously, and one of the common themes is many thieves will break or destroy anything and everything physically to do what they’re trying to do.
So if you have a valuable old vehicle, prevent the “massive vandalism” that is highly likely to occur whether successful or not, and let them have the vehicle. Hell, leave the doors or window unlocked too.
I’m using the “if someone steals it and takes off down the road and it dies and won’t re-start, the likelihood of the vehicle sustaining a physical beating is MUCH less and the likelihood of recovery is MUCH greater with an abandoned vehicle in a public spot.
I’ve tested it. Warm engine, security engaged, it will start and drive normally for a few hundred yards (or idle for about a minute) before dying.
This is exactly why I haven't done anything on any of my vehicles at this point. If a thief wants it, they're likely going to get it. Just like wheel locks. Our squares have gotten valuable enough now though, I do want to do something to the '85. Something similar to that is what I had in mind. They won't damage it if it's easy to get into and when it dies they'll just run. 'Course, it's also about to get a stick and a quick release wheel so that'll deter alot of folks lol

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Fuel cutoff doesn't work on a mechanical fuel pump. Unless I'm wrong I'm open to suggestion

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This is exactly why I haven't done anything on any of my vehicles at this point. If a thief wants it, they're likely going to get it. Just like wheel locks. Our squares have gotten valuable enough now though, I do want to do something to the '85. Something similar to that is what I had in mind. They won't damage it if it's easy to get into and when it dies they'll just run. 'Course, it's also about to get a stick and a quick release wheel so that'll deter alot of folks lol
Correct. I have mine insured for a few thousands over what i think market value would be with Hagerty. Hopefully, I never have to see how Hagerty operates with theft. Their minimum is driveway parked with garage being the ideal.

I have one in the garage but my K5 is a bit too big fit. I mean it may fit but the doors can't be opened. This only works for home. When I drive it, it is what it is unfortunately

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Fuel cutoff doesn't work on a mechanical fuel pump. Unless I'm wrong I'm open to suggestion
Fuel cut off solenoid works on anything.

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Fuel cut off solenoid works on anything.
Hmm, can you link what you're talking about that will work with these trucks? All I'm seeing the manual shutoff type.

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Correct. I have mine insured for a few thousands over what i think market value would be with Hagerty. Hopefully, I never have to see how Hagerty operates with theft. Their minimum is driveway parked with garage being the ideal.

I have one in the garage but my K5 is a bit too big fit. I mean it may fit but the doors can't be opened. This only works for home. When I drive it, it is what it is unfortunately
Same, I've got Grundy and it's insured for a bit more than I actually have in it but I bought in before everything went nuts. It would take at least that much to replicate. Mine stays indoors at work most of the time, Grundy does require indoor storage.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hmm, can you link what you're talking about that will work with these trucks? All I'm seeing the manual shutoff type.
They are mainly for industrial applications fork lifts,tractors etc. Just Google search 12volt fuel cut-off solenoid,look for one that suits your needs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-25_121855.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-25_121855.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2023-05-25_121844.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-25_121844.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 41

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Same, I've got Grundy and it's insured for a bit more than I actually have in it but I bought in before everything went nuts. It would take at least that much to replicate. Mine stays indoors at work most of the time, Grundy does require indoor storage.
Yes, I got mine before they went nuts as well. Even if I get what I have it insured for. I'd be losing money if I had to start over. I mean I can squeeze my K5 in the garage if I had to but it would be a pain to drive the trucks.

I got "classic" insurance to avoid emission testing as a previous owner took all that stuff out of the truck. Charcoal canisters and all that are gone. Not sure a carbureted small block would pass standard emissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike