anti lock brake kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy_Jake

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab
Engine Size
Hey, I have an 83 K30 with hydroboost brakes. Disk fronts and drum rear. Running 37's with a 3" lift. Problem I'm having is that in any damp weather, the slightest amount of brake pedal will lock up all four wheels. I have to be very careful braking in rain or snow. Are there any anti lock mods that don't require a computer that are available for older trucks?
Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Non that I'm aware of. That sounds really stange though. With those biggo tires, the brakes lock up that easy huh? I'd imagine you could loosen up your adjustment on the rears a few clicks and get some relief there maybe, so that the fronts come on first, and the rears not as hard in relation to the fronts, but still, that may make the pedal travel a bit further too and not compensate at all being you have the distribution aka proportion valve for the 2 fronts and then the rears, so it may not even matter to do that. :shrug:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Jake, did you ever get anti-lock brakes on yours? I just had a youngin' decide he wanted to come into my lane. The sound of the 31x10.5's locking up saved us an accident. LOL he and his 2 girlfriends all freaked out. I did find this the link below, I don't like the price though.
https://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=1202

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
drum rear.

I know I sound like a broken record but:

Check that your leading and lagging shoes are in the correct positions:

Are the rear brake components tight and are the shoes installed correctly.

If the leading and lagging shoes are installed backwards, the shoes will grab and skip along the ID of the drum. The whole truck shudders and the rear end hops up and down.

My previous truck had this problem (especially in damp/humid conditions, the first few stops in the A.M and when the brakes were hit hard). Kind of felt like an ABS system on steroids. The whole truck would shudder and bounce - real bad.

It got to the point where I had to figure it out. Long story short - whenever I changed rear brake shoes, I just replicated what the first owner had done. Well, guess what? The shoes were installed wrong - he had the lead and lags reversed.

Once they were corrected, the truck braked smoothly - never did the bunny hop thing again.

The following is from a GM advisory on fundamental brake problems to their dealer technicians (this is the section that pertains to grabbing):

REAR DRUM BRAKES

Causes:

You must be registered for see images attach

•Shoes/Linings incorrectly installed. Each side should have a leading and trailing shoe. The lining surface on the trailing shoe will be slightly larger than the lining surface on the leading shoe. The trailing shoes should be installed in the rear position on each side, while the leading shoes are installed in the front position on each side. If the shoe positions are reversed, the braking performance will be very grabby and prone to wheel lockup.

•Brake linings contaminated with brake fluid or gear oil.

•Incorrect shoe size or type.

•Loose or broken brake lining.

•Brake shoe adjustment too tight or too loose.

•Weak or broken return springs.

What to Check For:

•Look for the following common mistakes:

•Leading and trailing shoes are reversed.

•Both leading shoes are installed on one side while both trailing shoes are installed on the other side.

•Inspect the wheel cylinders for signs of leakage or sticking, replace or rebuild as necessary.

•Inspect the axle seals for signs of leakage. Gear oil leaking from the axle seal will usually be indicated by a spray pattern starting at the center of the drum and spreading outwards. If any signs of gear oil leakage are found, the shoes and seal should be replaced.
NOTE: Leakage at the axle seals is often caused by worn wheel bearings. If the vehicle has high mileage, it is recommended to replace the wheel bearing along with the axle seal.

•Inspect all brake springs and replace if any appear worn or distorted.
•Inspect shoes for correct fit with drum and backing-plate.
•Inspect brake lining for cracks, missing pieces or poor bonding to shoes.
•Check for proper adjustment, readjust as necessary.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is the load compensator (height sensing valve) still in the rear hydraulic circuit?

If so you might consider removing/bypassing it.

In 1987 GM issued a TSB on the subject that begins like this:

THIS BULLETIN IS A REVISION OF TRUCK SERVICE BULLETIN 85-B-79, DATED MAY, 1985, UPDATING FOR MODEL YEARS 1984-1988.
1984-1986 C/K 3500 and 1987-1988 R/V 3500 series trucks are equipped with a rear suspension height sensing device that optimizes the brake proportioning valve setting for the load the vehicle is carrying. The height sensing system adjusts the brake balance in vehicles subjected to a range of loading conditions. Occasionally, vehicle modifications by body builders or owners influence the height sensing device. If a vehicle has had rear suspension modifications that affect its trim height or the spring rate, and the driver comments about the brake modulation characteristics of the vehicle, it is recommended that the height sensing system be removed and the brake system be revised as described below.
More on these subjects:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6646&highlight=leading

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I should have noted that it was the fronts that locked up. That might be a simple adjusting of the rears. Thats what I get for posting first and thinking later lol. I'll also check to see if I have the load compensator, and ditch it if I do.

Sorry Jake for somewhat Hijacking, not intentional.

Thanks Guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli