another windshield wiper thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Realtorsteve63

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
86 c 10 has wiper delay and only moves on hi and barely moves and wont park itself , i took the wiper delay relay off to see if that will help and it did not , haas new wiper motor on it , i dont care about the delay just want it to work, it has cruise control also and does not work i can here the cruise click under the hood , i am a real dummie when it comes to electrical thanks

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
there is a pulse module at the base of the steering column. the harness plugs into each end. if you unplug the harness from each end, I believe the harness will plug into itself. the wipers should work on hi/lo but not in delay and won't park with the pulse module bypassed. or maybe that is what you did when you mention the "relay"?

for the cruise - I'd check to make sure your vacuum lines are in good shape first.

there are technical and service manuals in the reference library. they are a great resource.

Realtorsteve63

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
there is a pulse module at the base of the steering column. the harness plugs into each end. if you unplug the harness from each end, I believe the harness will plug into itself. the wipers should work on hi/lo but not in delay and won't park with the pulse module bypassed. or maybe that is what you did when you mention the "relay"?

for the cruise - I'd check to make sure your vacuum lines are in good shape first.

there are technical and service manuals in the reference library. they are a great resource.
already unplugged the pulse module and plugged the wires together and it acts the same ..thanks

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
you may check the grounds. I am not 100% sure, but it may ground on the bus bar on the driver's side kick panel above the e brake pedal. the motor may also have a ground. there is probably a wiring diagram in the tech library...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
One thing you can do is power the wiper motor directly and see if it works. I assume by "new wiper motor" you actual meant you purchased a rebuilt unit at auto parts store. At the shop you'd be surprised how many of these we get that are defective. So much so we have sworn off the Oriely's brand can't remember the name at the moment. Start with seeing if the motor will work when powered directly then work your way down the chain to the switch you'll find the problem that way. Remember when checking the grounds that just because the look clean and tight from the outside doesn't mean they are working. Make sure the body of the wiper motor is grounded, if it's not it won't work, guys, even professionals over look this.

Realtorsteve63

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
One thing you can do is power the wiper motor directly and see if it works. I assume by "new wiper motor" you actual meant you purchased a rebuilt unit at auto parts store. At the shop you'd be surprised how many of these we get that are defective. So much so we have sworn off the Oriely's brand can't remember the name at the moment. Start with seeing if the motor will work when powered directly then work your way down the chain to the switch you'll find the problem that way. Remember when checking the grounds that just because the look clean and tight from the outside doesn't mean they are working. Make sure the body of the wiper motor is grounded, if it's not it won't work, guys, even professionals over look this.
i tried running a wire directly from the battery and i couldnt get it to do nothing i will re try

45acp

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
X2!! I had the same problems. Turned out to be a defective wiper motor out of the box. Very frustrating.

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check park switch connection on wiper motor. Might need to clean contacts on plug, I had similar problem and cleaning contacts solved problem.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@86 SCOTTSDALE,

I concur with the above poster, and I think @gmbellow may have a valid point. I don't think it's the motor although why didn't it work when connected directly to the battery? But there could havfe been a misconnect there to. I know @Realtorsteve63, these electrical problems are a pain in the butt. And yes the tech info is helpful but the problem is the fore knowledge you need to have before the tech info can work. And like you I don't have the fore knowledge from being successful at having delt with electrical problems in the past and what I did worked. It builds confidence and skill. And yes you have to start somewhere but not at the expense of setting the damn thing on fire. Start out with something simple until you can work up to dealing with complicated electrical trouble shooting. You have to have someone who knows electrical trouble shooting help you with this. Unless you possess the fore knowledge it'll take much longer to figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising