Another "how much can I drop" question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deezy

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
So, here's how she sits as of today:

You must be registered for see images attach

I've got stock suspension, riding 15x7 American Racing wheels with 235-75 R15 tires. I also have side exhaust with a front clearance of about 8.5" and rear clearance around 9.5". This truck is a daily driver and occasionally a Harley hauler.

What I want: lower ride height that doesn't scrape every speed bump and pothole. Must be able to load up with 800 pounds or so of motorcycle. Also, a comfortable ride.

What I don't want: no frame notching. No welding. No effed up geometry or handling.

I'm afraid I won't be happy with a 2-4 drop, and think a 4-6 is impractical with my exhaust. Is a 3-5 drop safe to do with 2" spindles, 1" springs, and (how do I get 5 in the rear and keep my hauling capacity?)

PS: don't mind the missing mirror, it'll be back on in a day or two ;)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Flip kit should give you 3-4 and get a drop shackle for 1-2 both these suggestions are for the rear. Welcome and nice looking truck what do you ride?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Truck in my Avatar has 3" spring in front and a flip kit in back, sits perfect and no rubbing and handled great, but I also had 27" tires I see yours are 28.8, you may not want to come down as far especially on the front..

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
With those tires...a 2-5 drop is about all that can be done without tire rub. I have a 5-7...no tire rub (I removed the front tubs and fabbed new ones), but I also have 20" wheels and tires. In order to do more of a drop for the stance you are looking to achieve, you'll have to replace the tires and wheels for the clearance. Even with a rear axle flip to get closer to 5 inches out back, you will have tight clearance especially with 800lbs of hog in the bed.

Deezy

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Flip kit should give you 3-4 and get a drop shackle for 1-2 both these suggestions are for the rear. Welcome and nice looking truck what do you ride?

Thanks! I have a 2006 Sportster I'm turning into a dual sport ride, and a 1969 Shovelhead chopper in a rigid frame.

Truck in my Avatar has 3" spring in front and a flip kit in back, sits perfect and no rubbing and handled great, but I also had 27" tires I see yours are 28.8, you may not want to come down as far especially on the front..

Yours looks great, but even at 3 inches it looks like my exhaust may not clear, let alone the tires rubbing. That's the stance I want though...

With those tires...a 2-5 drop is about all that can be done without tire rub. I have a 5-7...no tire rub (I removed the front tubs and fabbed new ones), but I also have 20" wheels and tires. In order to do more of a drop for the stance you are looking to achieve, you'll have to replace the tires and wheels for the clearance. Even with a rear axle flip to get closer to 5 inches out back, you will have tight clearance especially with 800lbs of hog in the bed.

Would 2-5 lower it into a stance with the front higher than the rear? That might look strange.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yours looks great, but even at 3 inches it looks like my exhaust may not clear, let alone the tires rubbing. That's the stance I want though..
Thanks, how low is your exhaust???, I had junk Summit headers on it and never had a problem. But if you dropped yours to look like mine you'll be higher than mine because of the tire size so you shouldn't have a problem with the exhaust.

Deezy

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Thanks, how low is your exhaust???, I had junk Summit headers on it and never had a problem. But if you dropped yours to look like mine you'll be higher than mine because of the tire size so you shouldn't have a problem with the exhaust.

Side exhaust has 7.75" (front) clearance, 8.75" rear clearance. Tape measure is 2.75" in these pictures:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ooops, didn't pay attention to the side pipes, yeah that would make it kinda low..

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I meant to reply 3-5 drop

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Kinda gonna have to decide which you want more. "a lowered truck or a truck with cool side pipes". JMO. Not trying to be a jerk. Like the old saying "you want it good, fast, or cheap"? Pick two.

Deezy

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Kinda gonna have to decide which you want more. "a lowered truck or a truck with cool side pipes". JMO. Not trying to be a jerk. Like the old saying "you want it good, fast, or cheap"? Pick two.

Yeah, I get you. I think I'll go with the 2/4 drop since this is a daily and I'm not trying to hit any drag strips. Hopefully it does "look cool," because it sure ain't fast or comfortable lol.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah, I get you. I think I'll go with the 2/4 drop since this is a daily and I'm not trying to hit any drag strips. Hopefully it does "look cool," because it sure ain't fast or comfortable lol.
Just look at it as "for now". Don't mean you might not change it up later. At least it's on the road.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just look at it as "for now". Don't mean you might not change it up later. At least it's on the road.
Listen to this guy, he is gonna drag rockers lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy