Alloy works radiators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Has anyone ever bought one of their radiators? Price seems good too. Seems to be easy to install and comes with everything you need. Will the 3 row be enough to cool my 454 or should I go 4 row? The only thing it's quite a bit longer than the 3 row. Any input would be appreciated.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Yeah I didn't even think about that. Good point. Lol
Well, lol im not sure it makes a serious difference from that break year. I have a pre 87 rad support and a post 87 rad support i can inspect if you'd like

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Well, lol im not sure it makes a serious difference from that break year. I have a pre 87 rad support and a post 87 rad support i can inspect if you'd like
Thanks I need to get some measurements off my two radiators. I was just looking and these popped up on my news feed.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I’ve got one in my 87’. Got the four row, so far it seems to be of good quality for the price. No leaks, fittings for trans cooler lines are correct, fans are ok, not great, but probably more than adequate. Worst case I’ll swap the fans out with some nice ones if the rest of the unit holds up. I’ll provide an update after some real miles, it’s pretty fresh right now so who knows how long it’ll last.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
3-4 really has to do with your A/C system and ETG... are you injected or carb'ed?
How much heat are your heads dealing with at the exhaust, under full load?
If you don't know, any answer is a best guess...

If you run a quality thermal control switch and a pair of good quality electric fans... it really comes down to what your engine likes in the temps you drive in TX. The fluid dynamics to estimate what the core required is very lengthly. Turbo guys can spend $$$ on getting it right.

I just pulled a 454 core from a 99' K2500 with Rad mounts in excellent condition, zero leaks.

It only uses a single 12" fan to cool A/C and everything, oil cooler, trans cooler etc...
Towing and everything, this BBC never blew a radiator, AZ to MT every year.

Keep in mind, the core count can be misleading... The quality OEM and High quality aftermarket plastic tank/aluminized cores, can be single core and equal aftermarket double cores... the aluminum core metallurgy really matters.
Thickness of the crimps on plastic tanks make a difference, as well as the plastic casting quality too.
Unless you mic the aluminum crimps... you have no idea what you are buying online...

OSC makes good replacement OEM tanks... thick crimps. They are known to last 10 years in sever climates...
The hand welded units... not even close.
$800-$1200 brand name aluminum Race radiators are only rated for 2 years.

The thermal switch sensors', with adjustable temperature and a fan relay, you'll have to source on your own. If I can find the brand I bought for my turbo Nissan's, I'll post it here. Something tells me they were sourced from Pegasus, from the guys who use them for cooling circle track Outlaw cars...

Probably the best solution for anyone living in the south with extreme heat loads and a BBC?

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
I’ve got one in my 87’. Got the four row, so far it seems to be of good quality for the price. No leaks, fittings for trans cooler lines are correct, fans are ok, not great, but probably more than adequate. Worst case I’ll swap the fans out with some nice ones if the rest of the unit holds up. I’ll provide an update after some real miles, it’s pretty fresh right now so who knows how long it’ll last.
Thanks for the input!

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As a reminder...you need to buy a $10 zinc anode with aluminum.