All my lights went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85Highsierra15

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 bored 30
I have a 1985 c10 all my lights went out and no power to gauges, truck does start right up, I think it's a ground issue but can't find any bad grounds. Any ideas guys?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have a 1985 c10 all my lights went out and no power to gauges, truck does start right up, I think it's a ground issue but can't find any bad grounds. Any ideas guys?

I would normally say that you lost a fusible link. The headlight switch is fed/protected only by a fusible link. Unfortunately, it's one of the two that connect to the starter solenoid - not the one up high on the firewall.

But what gives me pause, is that your gauges are not functioning. And they are ignition switched and the ignition switch is protected by the fusible link located on the firewall. It doesn't make sense - unless, when you say you have no power to your gauges - you mean that there is no power to the instrument lighting circuit.

jaydee6634

Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would normally say that you lost a fusible link. The headlight switch is fed/protected only by a fusible link. Unfortunately, it's one of the two that connect to the starter solenoid - not the one up high on the firewall.

But what gives me pause, is that your gauges are not functioning. And they are ignition switched and the ignition switch is protected by the fusible link located on the firewall. It doesn't make sense - unless, when you say you have no power to your gauges - you mean that there is no power to the instrument lighting circuit.

Do you know what kind of wire and fusible link is needed that comes off the solenoid? I believe mine is burnt out from being to close/ touching headers. I have the same issue as 85 high minus the gauges not working, mine do, the dash light just doesn't come on with the headlight switch. I have tested the hot wire coming to my headlight switch and there is nothing. I do have turn signals front and back.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do you know what kind of wire and fusible link is needed that comes off the solenoid? I believe mine is burnt out from being to close/ touching headers. I have the same issue as 85 high minus the gauges not working, mine do, the dash light just doesn't come on with the headlight switch. I have tested the hot wire coming to my headlight switch and there is nothing. I do have turn signals front and back.

Yeah, that all makes sense. And, since power to the line side of the T/L CTSY fuse is supplied by the same single fusible link - in addition to the exterior lighting/courtesy and panel lights being out, you should also not have:

1. Horn

2. Cigarette lighter

3. Dome light

4. Cluster mounted clock - if installed

The panel, courtesy & dome/cargo lighting will all come back when you renew the link.

Now to your actual question - refer to the dwgs below:

You must be registered for see images attach

A fusible link is nothing more than a wire that is at least 4 gauge sizes smaller than the circuit it protects. However, it's covered with a special insulation that is designed to swell up when the copper conductor inside it becomes overheated. It doesn't necessarily have to be burned completely to cause the insulation to distort.

GM sizes wire using the metric standard (IDK why). According to the dwgs above, the particular fusible link that feeds the circuits in this case is classed as 1 square millimeter in cross-sectional diameter. That area is not exactly - but very close to - the cross sectional area of a #16 AWG conductor. That AWG rating is embossed on a plastic ring - it should be still be visible. If not you'll have to trust me.

They are always on the shelf at any autoparts store. Here is one from O'reilly's that lists for $4.49:

Here is the standard repair procedure - nothing more than making two butt splices in your case:

jaydee6634

Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@chengny thank you for the help. I got it all wired back up last night and everything is working as it should.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
So I was wanting to replace the fusible links with a maxi fuse. How would I figure out what fuse size I would need? Also seeing as how there are multiple fusible links would I need multiple maxi fuses?? Or could I combine some or all of them into one or two? 84 3/4T V8

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I was wanting to replace the fusible links with a maxi fuse. How would I figure out what fuse size I would need? Also seeing as how there are multiple fusible links would I need multiple maxi fuses?? Or could I combine some or all of them into one or two? 84 3/4T V8
It will not work, unless someone has come out with a slow burn fuse.
I tried this once upon a time, without success, the fuse just burns out too fast.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
It will not work, unless someone has come out with a slow burn fuse.
I tried this once upon a time, without success, the fuse just burns out too fast.
Did you use a blade fuse or a maxi fuse? My understanding is that a blade fuse will not work but a maxi fuse will.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
Sorry I mistyped that. I meant to say Mega Fuse, not Maxi Fuse

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What about a circuit breaker? And fuse it between the breaker and power source.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
So after much research this is what I have come up with.
They do make a "Slow Blow" fuse in a Jcase style. They sell the holders in a couple styles but I think the inline will work for my application. I have determined that the wire size for the circuits I want to replace Fusible links in are 12 & 10 awg. The ampacity of those wires are 40 & 50 amps respectively. The Fusible Links are roughly 14 & 16 awg respectively which is about 4 sizes smaller than the circuit wire. So my deduction is that the Fusible links must be rated at about those amps. The wiring diagram shows 3 Fusible links, 2 12awg and 1 10awg. So my plan is to replace those links with the corresponding Jcase Slow Blow fuses. If you read about the Jcase fuses they say they are designed to replace Fusible Links. Here are a couple links to the info and products I plan to use. If anyone sees a flaw in my research or execution please let me know.
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/46150/Littelfuse-FHJC1002G-Inline-JCASE-Fuse-Holder/

https://www.delcity.net/store/JCase...MI_8f-7eSZ1wIVxVt-Ch3e9giTEAQYASABEgKIUPD_BwE

https://technick.net/guides/electronics/awg_to_metric/

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
They do make a "Slow Blow" fuse in a Jcase style. They sell the holders in a couple styles but I think the inline will work for my application. I have determined that the wire size for the circuits I want to replace Fusible links in are 12 & 10 awg. The ampacity of those wires are 40 & 50 amps respectively. The Fusible Links are roughly 14 & 16 awg respectively which is about 4 sizes smaller than the circuit wire. So my deduction is that the Fusible links must be rated at about those amps. The wiring diagram shows 3 Fusible links, 2 12awg and 1 10awg. So my plan is to replace those links with the corresponding Jcase Slow Blow fuses. If you read about the Jcase fuses they say they are designed to replace Fusible Links. Here are a couple links to the info and products I plan to use. If anyone sees a flaw in my research or execution please let me know.
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/46150/Littelfuse-FHJC1002G-Inline-JCASE-Fuse-Holder/

https://www.delcity.net/store/JCase...MI_8f-7eSZ1wIVxVt-Ch3e9giTEAQYASABEgKIUPD_BwE

How did this turn out?

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
How did this turn out?

I have installed the fuses but have not gotten it fired up and running yet. I will update you guys when I get it running which should be middle of next month.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8

How did this turn out?

Hey guys just wanted to give an update. I installed the JCase fuses and they have been working great! One did blow but that was because shorted the positive to ground by accident so the fuse did its job. Great this is that they are super easy to replace, just pop the bad one out and put the new one in. Anyway if anyone is looking to replace their fusible links I think this is a great option.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Awesome Thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics