Air filter housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Whenever you are able to is just fine with me thanks.

Here you go... It is very dusty and has some surface rust but overall in really good shape. I haven not tested the vacuum diaphragm on top.
One other thing, I don't know if there should be a 'clamp' to hold the hose to the metal snorkel but if so I do not have that.

If you're interested I will find a box & padding and get a price for shipping and we can go from there.

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Here you go... It is very dusty and has some surface rust but overall in really good shape. I haven not tested the vacuum diaphragm on top.
One other thing, I don't know if there should be a 'clamp' to hold the hose to the metal snorkel but if so I do not have that.

If you're interested I will find a box & padding and get a price for shipping and we can go from there.

I've seen people use big hose clamps, but I don't think the factory used anything.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Oh ya you can bet I'm interested that's great. Let me know what you need from my end and I'm all over it. I'll PM you my shipping address so you can figure the price to my address. Thanks again!

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
81 & up have the 2" taller lid.

I've just come into ownership of an 83 K20. I was under the impression that it was completely stock (my late father in law owned bought the truck new, and only took it to Chevrolet for servicing). My air cleaner is of the shorter design. Gets me to thinking that maybe he didn't only take it to Chevrolet??

Oh, and sorry for highjacking the thread. ;)

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've just come into ownership of an 83 K20. I was under the impression that it was completely stock (my late father in law owned bought the truck new, and only took it to Chevrolet for servicing). My air cleaner is of the shorter design. Gets me to thinking that maybe he didn't only take it to Chevrolet??

Oh, and sorry for highjacking the thread. ;)

I know the tall style is the norm for 81-86 California trucks. That's all I've ever seen. It could have been for emissions, etc. If you look at the photos in post #16 you will see a circular screen on the inside of the base. This was done to prevent back fires through the carb. I originally had thought it was for sound suppression, but learned otherwise.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know the tall style is the norm for 81-86 California trucks. That's all I've ever seen. It could have been for emissions, etc. If you look at the photos in post #16 you will see a circular screen on the inside of the base. This was done to prevent back fires through the carb. I originally had thought it was for sound suppression, but learned otherwise.

Yea, me too I thought for years it was for sound suppression and I still think it does do that, but I to learned it was really for backfire protection.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive got this one ...

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size

That circular screen is filled with charcoal particles and is part of the fuel evaporative system. If you notice the tube on the bottom picture of the air cleaner, a hose goes from there to the fuel evap charcoal canister. It stores excess fuel vapors and keeps them from venting to the atmosphere. When the vehicle is running air passes through it and purges the vapors into the engine. I see these weekly performing smog inspections in California. Quite a few people remove them and fail the inspection.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
What direction does it need to point out from the engine, driver, passenger? Mine is passenger oriented the one I’m keeping but I do have one that came with my Buick that clearly isn’t from my Buick. It’s either also a passenger or maybe it’s a driver. But it’s shorter lid. Older 70s trucks had the circular snout thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8