air cleaners for tbi or edelbrock carbs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
For anyone who has tbi or maybe a carter or edelbrock carb and wants to use like a stock style or aftermarket drop base air cleaner, they don't work.

Mine does not anyways. I bought a mr. gasket 9790 competition air cleaner setup with an aprox. 2 inch drop base. I bought it from streetsideauto(great company) and they did not list it as drop base, plus I figured it would work ok anyways with my tbi. I figured this because tbi has like a 1 inch spacer ring that has the nipple on back for the fresh air vent in the valve cover.

It did not fit. it would hit the bracket with the esc and such on it, it hit the vac. line for the MAP sensor, it was laying on the coil wires, and would not sit flat. I tried it with the factory tbi ring and it still would not sit flat without alot of modifications.

I tried it on dad's truck which has an edelbrock carb on it, it would hit the fuel line and not sit down on it flat.

The air cleaner dad had is a raised base alum oval shaped air cleaner. it works great for the edelbrock carbs or maybe even a flat base for you edelbrock guys. not realy sure. if not then a flat base and spacer would work for you. The factory 84 truck filter housing doesn't fit either. it's the same way a drop base and hits.

NOTE: with the use of a spacer or raised base air cleaner bottom you may need a longer air cleaner stud.

Now for tbi guys, I tried this 1/2 inch raised base air cleaner on the tbi, ir would not fit, was not high enough. The base plate hit the TPS plugin, now a round air cleaner with a 1/2 raised not sure if that would work or not, it may hit as well. I could use that air cleaner with the stock tbi spacer ring. it just needed a shorter air cleaner stud. Now they do make offset air cleaner studs for tbi's. or you could modify yours. Now I would think a flat base air cleaner along with your factory tbi ring would work and clear fine. You may need to modify or change the stud though. This problem could be solved by the taller air cleaners or filter elements, I think ours was 2 inch tall. I can measure if anyone is interested to be for sure. Now the 1/2 raised base would have fit and cleared if I had a 1/4 or bigger spacer under it. So if you can find a 3/4 or bigger raised base air cleaner that may work for you. I will let you know for sure soon. I am going order a summit raised base bottom for my current air cleanr as listed above. I also will order the offset stud at the same time.

Stay tuned for more updates in the next few weeks or so after I get the parts in and tr them.

offset air cleaner stud, made by spectre #4215
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-4215/

3/4 raised base summit brand #SUM-G3000B
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3000B/

The air cleaner I bought and trying to use is Mr. Gasket #9790
http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/mr-gasket-competition-9790/

I will let you know how these work with a tbi setup as soon as possible.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good post and links bubba. :handshake:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
will be alot better when I get some final info to let ppl know. I was under the assumption from what i read online that a drop base would work with the tbi spacer ring.

It did NOT.

I had checked it out on thridgen, for camaros and firebirds and also on 67-72.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I took a ball-peen hammer to my stock air can to make it clear my edelbrock carb. I guess I'm just wierd that way lol. I had one of those cool-lookin edelbrock trianglular foam/screen filters, but just like all of them I burned the foam out.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well my coil is in my way now. I got my 3/4 raised base and it's still lacking about a 1/4 thanks to it hitting the coil, so I'm gonna have to relocate it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Ok now I'm done with this, finally got it working.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
foir tbi trucks it should look similar to this, mines an 88, so it's newer body style.

You must be registered for see images attach

remove the wing nut

pull the tube off

at this point if you have any other lines or hookups like hot air riser or such they need removed too. Mine had none.

lift the lid off

remove the filter and base, and at this point my camera crapped out. So no pics sorry, after I charge the batteries I'll try again.

remove the tbi wing nut stud, mine had only one, it unscrews counterclockwise, like normal. Remove the tbi spacer ring, unhook the valve cover hose from it and lift it up off the tbi. Remove any old gasket and pieces.

Now you can put in your offset air cleaner stud. I used spectre part #4215
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-4215/

I had to use the extension on mine, screwed it on about 1/2 or less or threads, and left the top sticking out around the same 1/2 or so. NOTE: I had to unhook the PS injector pluging because the stud hit it before tightening all the way down. No big deal push in the tab and pull up, tighten the stud and then press the plugin back on the injector.

now my coil hit, so I had to remove it and relocate. It is held down by 2 1/2 head bolts. On my 88 there was a 10mm bolt head right behind the dist. I loosened and slide the bracket under it, and bolted it down.

You can barely see it, again sorry try to get better pics later due to dead batteries.

Now you can lay down your gasket and then put on the base, I had to use this one..

summit part #SUM-G3000B
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3000B/

Make sure nothing is hitting anywhere, linkage and all. if not then put on your filter element, then the lid and put on the wing nut then tighten it down.

Now you can remove the snokrel tube, on square bodies it comes off the front core support just pulls off. On my 88 though it connects to a box on the PS inner fender, and goes into the fender. I just removed the 2 1/2 head bolts from the inner wheel well and removed the whole thing.

Also if yours has the tube off the valve cover, you can hook it up to the port in the air cleaner base. I reused my stock stuff, cut off about a 4 inch piece of 5/8 hose, stuck it on the base and then jammed the tube into the other end. Later that's coming off when I put on my new chrome valve covers, and throw on a chrome breather cap instead of the tube.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Does the coil have a good enough ground on the firewall like that?

Looks good man! :High 5:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I dunno, hope so LOL

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:rofl:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:waytogo: I did the exact same mod to my '94 :D

**should never sold that truck :sad72:**

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I like it alot better, I know it might not help anything but looks, but that is why I done it, better looks.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
completely agree with that! That's exactly why I did it on my 94! :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Make Note !!! You guys who live in states that require emmissions testing, keep your OEM air cleaner and snorkel in a box on a shelf in the garage. A simple mod like this will fail you in a visual emmsions inspection. So keep it handy for the day you go down to test.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that sucks.

Forum statistics