Advice on front end wear items

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello guys and gals,
I need some advice as to what to replace and what to keep on the front end of my K10(4x4 4" lift)
what are the wear items and what can get away with keeping? I don't want to waste time and money replacing something that does not need replacing.
You must be registered for see images attach

please let me know if I'm missing anything
As always thanks for your help, you guys are great.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The last items are body mounts. Not specifically a “front end” wear item, but wear items none the less. You were probably looking for shackle, main eye and sway bar bushings.

The spindles have wear items as well, but smarter people would need to chime in after you respond with your specifics.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I figured since I have the cab off I would get new cab mounts. I'm new to this so to clarify I need to get new bushings for the shackles, sway bar, and I have no idea what the main eye is.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I didn't look up the parts you listed for tie rods, but you have two sets of "tie rods" to replace. If a parts book lists it as outer tie rods, its the long rod that connects to the steering spindles, and I think that is pictured in your list. There is also the inner tie rod or drag link that has a joint on each end. It connects the steering box to the steering linkage. FYI - I bought and used Moog ball joints from Rockauto when I worked on my trucks's front end, and then I later read articles and complaints about the quality of Moog parts. I haven't had any problems, but you might want to check around before you buy.

I would also replace the rag joint or convert the shaft linkage with a jeep universal joint. I could not easily convert my '75 because it has the older splined fitting on the steering box, so I just replaced the rag joint. This is one thread that discusses how to do it. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/retro-mod-jeep-intermediate-steering-shaft.1812/

While you have it apart you should also check the free play adjustment in the steering box (adjuster and lock nut is on the top of the box). With the linkage disconnected so that only the steering arm is on the box, you put an inch lbs torque wrench on the nut in the center of the steering wheel. IIRC, you tighten down the adjuster on the box until it takes about 10-14 inch lbs to turn the steering wheel throughout its full travel. The box self-centers, so the torque will not be uniform throughout the travel. This adjustment takes out most of the freeplay in the box, but you do not want to get it too tight and make it bind. There are other adjustments you can make to the box, but this is the first one to try.

Bruce

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I figured since I have the cab off I would get new cab mounts. I'm new to this so to clarify I need to get new bushings for the shackles, sway bar, and I have no idea what the main eye is.
The front eye of your leaf spring.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'm new to this so to clarify I need to get new bushings for the shackles, sway bar, and I have no idea what the main eye is.

I went with the replacement shackles from ORD since they are greaseble. My upper bushing that goes through the frame was actually oval due to wear. I also installed their Sway Bar disconnect kit. I've used it on my last two trucks. I really think it helps with spring flex since the sway bar is no longer permanently fixed to the spring plates.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks for the info guys, was the sway bar disconnect hard to put on?
Also, can I get tie rods and ball joins and such with polyurethane bushing instead of the rubber ones? like energy suspension?

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
was the sway bar disconnect hard to put on?

No, you use the supplied bolts for the bottom and the supplied pins for the top. I also replaced the sway bar bushings at the frame.

GU37001 Sway bar disconnect / BG05024 Sway bar bushings for 73-80 Trucks
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thanks for the info guys, was the sway bar disconnect hard to put on?

I'm planning on installing one myself here soon. I think install is pretty simple, uninstalling and removing the old bushings would take the longest time but still overall not difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20