AC compressor oil capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I know this is an old thread, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. I am replacing my condenser, hoses, and compressor. The evaporator and accumulator are still in great shape. The compressor came with 3 oz of oil in it. Should I have to add more since I am switching out the condenser too? The numbers you listed only show 1 oz for the compressor so I think I would be ok. Just don’t want to crater a new system. Thanks man.

How much do you trust the overseas factory worker that put the oil in the compressor?

Personally, I'd dump out all of the oil that is in the compressor. Get out whatever you can and rotate the compressor shaft while doing so. Then add 2oz of oil.

I also HIGHLY recommend that you replace the accumulator and add 2oz of oil to that as well.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
How much do you trust the overseas factory worker that put the oil in the compressor?

Personally, I'd dump out all of the oil that is in the compressor. Get out whatever you can and rotate the compressor shaft while doing so. Then add 2oz of oil.

I also HIGHLY recommend that you replace the accumulator and add 2oz of oil to that as well.
I think I am just gonna do it all. Compressor, evaporator, accumulator, condenser, and the lines. Just start new. So in that case you are saying dump the oil from the compressor and add a total of 7 oz for the whole system right?

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
If you are retrofitting an old system it is important you do not add PAG oil, it is a corrosive and will take out your evaporator. An Ester oil is the only oil compatible with 134a and an older R12 system. If it is a new aftermarket system the compressor will come with oil sufficient for the entire system.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think I am just gonna do it all. Compressor, evaporator, accumulator, condenser, and the lines. Just start new. So in that case you are saying dump the oil from the compressor and add a total of 7 oz for the whole system right?

Personally, I'd only change the compressor, accumulator and the condenser... but only the condenser if it fits into the budget. Depending on the condition of the current condenser, results of replacement will vary. The lines and evaporator only need replaced if they leak.

I've drained a couple ounces out of compressors that were supposed to be shipped dry, I've had empty compressors that were supposed to be shipped with oil and I've also dumped what was probably 6 ounces out of compressors that were supposed to have ~2oz in them. That's why I make sure they are empty and add the oil that I want.

The type of oil is a whole other debate.

ConixC

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread but I'm in getting ready to completely redo the A/C in my K5; I'm doing all new components. Only the dryer and evaporator remain in the truck and the rest have been removed for the past 20+ years. I'm going to be using R134A and am wondering how much oil I should add for the whole system? Also. Should I add the oil to the parts first or should I add it when I add the refrigerant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641