A dash cover restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That looks great, but why would you cover it all up with a new dash pad after all that work???..

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
It looks great in the pictures but if you saw it in person there are some imperfections that would probably drive you crazy if you looked at them every day. I came away with some observations. 1- Expanding foam is good for filling cracks, but it should be trimmed below the crack and then filled with bondo. 2- Bondo works great if the dash cover is to be covered in Vinyl. 3- Vinyl should be as thin as possible in order to stretch it around corners. I used marine vinyl which is a little thicker. 4- Apply glue to both the pad and the vinyl. 5- Leave as much vinyl overhang as possible. It allows you to make mistakes and still fix the problem. and 6- Be very careful when using a heat gun to soften the vinyl. I tested it on a small piece and found that by the time you see the vinyl start to melt...it's too late.

I suspect that the next dash ( bare metal) will be easier, but that's another thread.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Live and learn I guess, lol, maybe let the vinyl sit out in the sun for awhile might work too..

Looking forward to the next one..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco