A/C compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello, I have a question about an R4 compressor. GM shows they were used until '95 on trucks. My question is would an R4 compressor with the serpentine belt pulley work on our squares if I replaced the pulley with the V pulley? Thank you.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hello, I have a question about an R4 compressor. GM shows they were used until '95 on trucks. My question is would an R4 compressor with the serpentine belt pulley work on our squares if I replaced the pulley with the V pulley? Thank you.

I would imagine that you'd have to switch to a V-belt style clutch with the older style connector that also has a coil clocked in the right direction for your connector and different mounting location. You'd also need the correct bracketry to switch it over to the driver's side. That sounds like a hell of a job, and you wouldn't know how much life the compressor has left. Granted, I don't know this compressor's life story, but it sounds like a used compressor from a GMT400 truck. It would be cheaper initially, but I'm not sure it's worth it in the long run. Just my two cents.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
The clutch assemblies can be swapped between serpentine and V-belt clutches on the later, light weight R4s, not the early style like this one;

You must be registered for see images attach

I wanted one of the last Delphi R4 compressors (GM sold the rights, all are now made by Compressor Works of TX, no matter what name is on them) to replace the failed compressor on my Caprice. I finally found one that was a dealer service part on a GMT400. The V clutch beside it is the correct one for a Square.

Finding the correct clutch for my Caprice was quite a challenge. The position (and sometimes diameter) of the V belt on the clutch assembly varies in different applications.

I looked through a lot of them that were junk, particularly on dual air Suburbans running R134a. The orifice tubes were always full of garbage. I can't think of a worse application (dual air Suburbans) for these compressors.

It was worth it to me, but finding a good compressor is the biggest challenge.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The clutch assemblies can be swapped between serpentine and V-belt clutches on the later, light weight R4s, not the early style like this one;

I wanted one of the last Delphi R4 compressors (GM sold the rights, all are now made by Compressor Works of TX, no matter what name is on them) to replace the failed compressor on my Caprice. I finally found one that was a dealer service part on a GMT400. The V clutch beside it is the correct one for a Square.

Finding the correct clutch for my Caprice was quite a challenge. The position (and sometimes diameter) of the V belt on the clutch assembly varies in different applications.

I looked through a lot of them that were junk, particularly on dual air Suburbans running R134a. The orifice tubes were always full of garbage. I can't think of a worse application (dual air Suburbans) for these compressors.

It was worth it to me, but finding a good compressor is the biggest challenge.

So Harrison and Delphi both made them new and both were put on GM vehicles from the factory? I've got the factory Harrison on my Jimmy for sure. I've got a Delphi on my Calprice. It has the older logo on it, and I don't see where it says remanufactured on it, but I don't know if it's factory. The damn thing has a Harrison sticker on it, though. I was told that both were put on vehicles new, but I wasn't sure whether to believe it or not.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I did a serpentine conversion on my 86, I used my existing compressor, just swapped out the pulley, and it works just fine. I would think it'd be the same vice versa.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
So Harrison and Delphi both made them new and both were put on GM vehicles from the factory? I've got the factory Harrison on my Jimmy for sure. I've got a Delphi on my Calprice. It has the older logo on it, and I don't see where it says remanufactured on it, but I don't know if it's factory. The damn thing has a Harrison sticker on it, though. I was told that both were put on vehicles new, but I wasn't sure whether to believe it or not.

The evolution of the compressor names / parts division is kind of convoluted, and Delphi is no longer a wholly owned part of GM. All the Harrison division compressors are labeled Frigidaire from 1955 to the mid to late 70s. The Delco Air label is on the compressors through '82 IIRC. Harrison is the name on them until the division re-named Delphi, as a wholly owned subsidiary (later spun off and bankrupt too).

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I did a serpentine conversion on my 86, I used my existing compressor, just swapped out the pulley, and it works just fine. I would think it'd be the same vice versa.

Exactly, I may still do that too myself. I really don't like V belts anymore.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay, thanks guys for all the input. This is a new compressor from the late 80's for a good price but it sounds like quite the headache to change. I'm going to pass on it. Thanks again.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Okay, thanks guys for all the input. This is a new compressor from the late 80's for a good price but it sounds like quite the headache to change. I'm going to pass on it. Thanks again.

I would not use that compressor as-is either. It will not have the later, double lip seal on the main shaft. This seal did not appear until the late 90s. The good news is that it can be installed in all R4 and A6s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76