A/C Diagnostics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Good Morning,

The A/C on my 1984 Sierra worked fine last summer, but isn't working this year. I checked for voltage at the compressor with the engine running and switches turned on, but found none. I looked for blown fuses and didn't find any. Is there a relay for the A/C system? Does anybody know of a good diagnostics source?

Thank you for your help!

John

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Check for 12v at the low pressure switch and verify it is closing. If pressure gets low, low pressure switch will disconnect power to the compressor

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Check for 12v at the low pressure switch and verify it is closing. If pressure gets low, low pressure switch will disconnect power to the compressor
Thank you! I'll check that out...

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
You can jump the wires on the switch (do not do it for more than a second or two) to see if that turns on the compressor. Could be low freon or bad switch.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Thank you both for the suggestions. The problem turned out to be low refrigerant level. I had it in the back of my pea-brain that I had maybe screwed something up when I was messing around under the dash earlier this summer.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thank you both for the suggestions. The problem turned out to be low refrigerant level. I had it in the back of my pea-brain that I had maybe screwed something up when I was messing around under the dash earlier this summer.
Make sure you find where it is leaking from.. refrigerant doesn't just naturally leak out over time. I have a newer R134 switch on mine with a plastic body and it was leaking past the oring there. I unscrewed it and screwed it back on and the leak went away(mostly). I checked it with soap and it was still a very slow leak, so I pulled it and put a second oring on it(that seamed to stop it finally)