Anyone use this R4 A/C conversion kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m looking to toss this junk R4 and get one that works longer than a month without charging. This looks to be the best I’ve found in a search. It says it mounts on the drivers side and that is the setup I have now so shouldnt be too complicated. Any experience with this kit? is it junk Too?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
IMO, thats awfully steep $$-wise for what it is. Going into winter you can buy a GOOD compressor (Sanden) for about $250. The accumulator (small silver can) is about $30. The lines can be made (or ordered from Vintage Air) for about $125 total. Surprised there is no condenser with this setup. Those are $150-200 and a major part of any upgrade.

I think I gave about $1k for my Vintage Air setup and that was everything including heat and the whole airbox as well.

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IMO, thats awfully steep $$-wise for what it is. Going into winter you can buy a GOOD compressor (Sanden) for about $250. The accumulator (small silver can) is about $30. The lines can be made (or ordered from Vintage Air) for about $125 total. Surprised there is no condenser with this setup. Those are $150-200 and a major part of any upgrade.

I think I gave about $1k for my Vintage Air setup and that was everything including heat and the whole airbox as well.

the worse pia for me would be piecing all the correct parts together. If I knew exactly what brackets and hoses to buy that would be great, if not, Id rather spend the money to get all the right parts the first time.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I get it - but still wonder if VA couldn't sell you what you need cheaper. Their entire setups are not much more than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef