A/C rebuild list. May help someone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks Joshua,

Just found out I needed a new compressor the other day but unsure what exactly to do. This makes it much clearer, going to order my kit from original air tomorrow. 1981 C10 305

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks Joshua,

Just found out I needed a new compressor the other day but unsure what exactly to do. This makes it much clearer, going to order my kit from original air tomorrow. 1981 C10 305

One thing I recommend is trying out the blue Orifice tube. I went with an OEM white one but with a switch to R-134, I think the blue would help a lot better. Might get you a few degrees colder.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Hell yeah Brother!! I just did mine on my 84. I was lucky and had a system that hadnt been open so i just bought a drier,o tube, compressor, and flush. Already had new lines, o rings, and refrigerant. Also already had a r4 compressor setup from stock so score there...

I like that bracket....looks beefy. I modified my oe bracket to work with my headers but I eventually plan to go all billet.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hell yeah Brother!! I just did mine on my 84. I was lucky and had a system that hadnt been open so i just bought a drier,o tube, compressor, and flush. Already had new lines, o rings, and refrigerant. Also already had a r4 compressor setup from stock so score there...

I like that bracket....looks beefy. I modified my oe bracket to work with my headers but I eventually plan to go all billet.
Yeah, really happy with the original air bracket. I have a 60” belt and I think because of the bracket adjustment, it can fit anywhere between A 59” or 61”. Good luck and let me know what temps you get out of the vents! Also, you go blue o-tube?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
stock white $2 orifice tube. 51deg sitting still on a 96deg day in alabama... so extreme humidity. It dropped noticeably while driving though. Had condensation after 2-3 minutes of driving so id say somewhere near 40ish degrees. I didnt measure while driving though. It will freeze you out of the truck on anything but low after a minute or so.
My brother always comments on my Nissan factory ac being the coldest he has felt....my trucks is colder imho.
Ive always thought it was pretty easy for these large systems to cool the single cabs. Same system on the suburbans and k5s and they do (OK).

ripple1973

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Hey, the thread Has so much Great info and was done perfectly. thanks for this info!

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
2 year update. This thing is freezing me out while on the highway. Temps around 45 on a summer day medium blower speed. Will get colder on lower Fan speeds

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
2 year update. This thing is freezing me out while on the highway. Temps around 45 on a summer day medium blower speed. Will get colder on lower Fan speeds

I know it's been 2 years but do you remember if the o-ring kit had the one for here (your pic)?
You must be registered for see images attach

I got some and this one was too big to fit into the shoulder are and I am worried it's going to leak.

ripple1973

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
How much oil did you use? Also around how much r134a I have an 85 K5 Blazer with r4 on the driverside with v-belts. I HATE THAT R4. Have you heard any who did this conversion with OEM PF condenser?

Last edited:

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Update on the kit from original air has almost doubled to $1350.

MUCH cheaper to buy the kit yourself and you’ll get hoses as well!
$714 not including some R-134. Here’s the kit I was able to put together. Hope it helps.

Vintage air #04808-VUA From Summit $222.00

Original air bracket $155.00
There are cheaper bracket options out there. I liked this one because it kept the compressor closer to engine and was beefier.

Four Seasons #54275 Evaporator
67$ Amazon

GPD 3642C Condenser 120$

Blue Orific Tube
UAC 5296C Blue 4-8$

GPD 9411667 A/C Receiver Drier and O-ring kit 16$ Rockauto.com

Custom hoses $126
Here is my invoice for my cold hose order. They custom make hoses for you.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128