89S 350 TBI Head Gasket Replacement Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Can't seem to catch a break can you John? I hope things turn around for you after this hiccup is solved. Hang in there! :anitoof:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
agreed but why does he have to tear it down again?

I'd just yank it have the thing honed or bored whatever is needed, buy ya a cam kit from northern and/or a rebuild kit, master kit they call it, with oil pump gaskets and pistons, rings etc.

I'd quit messing with it and rebuild it and be done, either that or live with it's problems it has now and bad lifter or cam, buy one build it, minus the heads, then swap the top end over and drop in a new motor.
Send me money and I will be glad to do it that way. :waytogo:

I live paycheck to paycheck and don't have a nest egg. Actually this is the first year in a long time I actually had one, it was $1k and now it's gone. That was my Christmas savings for my kids. Now I got to start all over again beacuse that **** will be knocking on the door before ya know it. I wouldn't tourture myself with this **** if I had the money to knock it out at one shot. I took a gamble and I lost, and I am used to it and I will prevail in the end, beacause I never give up. :crazy:

And if it is a bad lifter I will be going to pull-a-part for the replacment one, :flipthebird: Hahahahahahah.

I need a fukin beer...

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Send me money and I will be glad to do it that way. :waytogo:

I live paycheck to paycheck and don't have a nest egg. Actually this is the first year in a long time I actually had one, it was $1k and now it's gone. That was my Christmas savings for my kids. Now I got to start all over again beacuse that **** will be knocking on the door before ya know it. I wouldn't tourture myself with this **** if I had the money to knock it out at one shot. I took a gamble and I lost, and I am used to it and I will prevail in the end, beacause I never give up. :crazy:

And if it is a bad lifter I will be going to pull-a-part for the replacment one, :flipthebird: Hahahahahahah.

I need a fukin beer...
AC delco P/N hs66....round 12 bucks. Still want to go to pull a part for a lifter? And, If you find that your cam is wiped out, let me know, I have one here with 12000 miles on it...I`ll ship it out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can't run a used lifter, it will wipe you cam if it isn't already.

And if you swap the cam, do yourself a REALLY big favor and GO ROLLER! I've lost three flat tappet cams in the last couple years, and all of them had been properly broken it. Modern oil just can't keep them alive.

Your block was roller cam-ready wasn't it? Go to the junkyard, find a '87-up F-body with V8, pull the roller cam setup from it and run it. If you can afford it, buy a new Comp roller cam to use in place of the crappy stock cam.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Arent you supposed to replace all the lifters with new on a new cam due to wear that old lifters might have and not touching the new cam lubes?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You can't run a used lifter, it will wipe you cam if it isn't already.

And if you swap the cam, do yourself a REALLY big favor and GO ROLLER! I've lost three flat tappet cams in the last couple years, and all of them had been properly broken it. Modern oil just can't keep them alive.

Your block was roller cam-ready wasn't it? Go to the junkyard, find a '87-up F-body with V8, pull the roller cam setup from it and run it. If you can afford it, buy a new Comp roller cam to use in place of the crappy stock cam.
Read back a few posts...he is paycheck to paycheck. Stock cams are just fine, an F-body cam`s torque range would be too high. These trucks run mostly in the 12 to 2200 rpm range.
And yes, from the pics he posted, he is roller ready.
And a good roller cam for trucks is the gm HT383e cam, PN 14097395

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You NEVER EVER use a used lifter on any lobe old or new. One a lifter is used, it married to that same lobe forever and ever. You put that lifter on any other lobe, that lobe will be wiped out in very short order. You can use a used cam IF not of the lobes are pre wiped out, and you use NEW lifters with it, or the EXACT OLD lifters to each lobe. So how are certain are you that someone didn't drop a lifter and put it on the wrong lobe or mark it wrong. As cheap as a set of lifters are, buy a new set of lifters. Its insrurance for all your labor and expenses in gaskets etc.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I always hear that and it's good advice, but, I never do it lol. I've mixed up lifters, put em in other lobes, used other lifters from another motor in a motor with a different cam, and never had a problem.

As for paycheckj to paycheck yea I know the feeling, it can be done though. I got less then $300 in rebuild parts in my 88 and it's ALL new inside, minus valves, pistons, rod, crank, block and heads, all the rest was changed, oil pump, cam, lifters, bearings, rings, timing set.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Paycheck to paycheck, I get it... that's how I roll too. But that doesn't always mean that a fella never comes into some extra money. Going roller will save money in the long run, and if the funds can be raised, then a new cam is well worth it.

Also, a TBI 305 roller cam is about as mild as it gets, it would be right at home in a truck motor.

One more thing too. I just wanted to be clear about using old lifters... it can only be done with rollers. Not sure I worded things very well before.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Would you mind picking me up some gaskets from the pick-n-pull too??
You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
AC delco P/N hs66....round 12 bucks. Still want to go to pull a part for a lifter? And, If you find that your cam is wiped out, let me know, I have one here with 12000 miles on it...I`ll ship it out.
:handshake:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Maybe I can find a nice ******, rusty lifet and electolozize it in a farkin coffe cup, lol!!!! :flipthebird:

Cant a lifter be rebuilt?? :think: I think they can, let me see if ther is a parts kit or something.... :evillol:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
One more thing too. I just wanted to be clear about using old lifters... it can only be done with rollers. Not sure I worded things very well before.

Go right ahead and use a used lifter with rollers but I wont. I'd just replace replace the cam and lifters with new.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Roller lifters have a small wheel that comes in contact with the cam lobe Dave, it's not the same as a flat tappet lifter, which can get a sharp edge and slowly whittle away the cam lobe if it's not matched with the lobe it came from.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
...... which can get a sharp edge and slowly whittle away the cam lobe if it's not matched with the lobe it came from.
That's why I got a bench grinder, lol. :mf_pcwhack:

You guys, I can't believe you would think I would stick a junkyard ****** lifter into my motor, I mean, I know I do some **** redneck, but c'mon, I deserve better credit than that!!

:insane:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones