89S 350 TBI Head Gasket Replacement Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
He's bagging it!

GOING TO BE LAYING FRAME BABY!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
rollin' on 12" 100 spokes and hydraulics......
You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:wave::High 5:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So whats your job on the burb 89S? New paint job? Body work? New tires? Dual exhaust?
I'm taking the rest of the summer off and will do tires and the rear tail pan next fall/winter. Unless something else breaks in the mean time, lol.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm taking the rest of the summer off and will do tires and the rear tail pan next fall/winter. Unless something else breaks in the mean time, lol.

Ok, I suggest your tent and fishing pole and take 2 week fishing trip on your boat at camp site somewhere to relieve you from all this stress from head gasket to valve tapping to crapy spark plug wires.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I got to give credit to swims about the ****** Duralast wires, he was right on on that. $30 bucks for that garbage, they oughta be ashamed. Heed this warning fellas. Don't buy that ****. I'll be taking them back for a f'n refund. :handshake:

I wouldn't have ever figured out the dist thing either. I'd have been wasting my time this weekend trying to fix this, because I wouldn't have imagined those ignition wires were shorting out either. And trying to adjust those valves at least 7 or 8 times. I can't believe I couldn't nail it down, I never had that problem on other brand vehicles.

But I am new to the GM motor and this was a great learning experience and I am glad all of you tried to help. Sometimes you just got to turn it over to a pro who does it for a living to get it right and not damage anything any further. And props to him to take the time unannounced out of his day on a stinking hot ass Friday afternoon, when he could have closed a little earlier to start enjoying his weekend, to figure it out for me, pick it up, drop it off, I didn't have to do a fuggin thing. I am grateful to him.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Awesome man! Glad to hear it's all lined out! [Clinks beer to monitor] CHEERS!!
:cheers:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wait what I was right on something, alright baby I'm 2 for 2 on gmsb. That's awesome.

You know I never had them arc that I know of, but they just melted for no reason when others don't.

Just glad they got it fixed for ya.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Never had a problem with Duralast wires...Have them on my Blazer never been shocked or anything.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I got to give credit to swims about the ****** Duralast wires, he was right on on that. $30 bucks for that garbage, they oughta be ashamed. Heed this warning fellas. Don't buy that ****. I'll be taking them back for a f'n refund. :handshake:

I wouldn't have ever figured out the dist thing either. I'd have been wasting my time this weekend trying to fix this, because I wouldn't have imagined those ignition wires were shorting out either. And trying to adjust those valves at least 7 or 8 times. I can't believe I couldn't nail it down, I never had that problem on other brand vehicles.

But I am new to the GM motor and this was a great learning experience and I am glad all of you tried to help. Sometimes you just got to turn it over to a pro who does it for a living to get it right and not damage anything any further. And props to him to take the time unannounced out of his day on a stinking hot ass Friday afternoon, when he could have closed a little earlier to start enjoying his weekend, to figure it out for me, pick it up, drop it off, I didn't have to do a fuggin thing. I am grateful to him.
I just ordered a set of Delco wires for $31 from Rock Auto. The set I am replacing were delco also, They have 80,000 miles on them, so I got my money`s worth. I always try to use oem whenever possible. Taylor are not bad either, but I still prefer delco.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The Duralast wires I bought were "pre-greased" with that electro grease ****. I thinnk that was the problem. It was all over the wires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good for you 89S, someone knowledgable to look, touch and listen will be great. You know not to hold your breath, and I know I've not had good to say about this project from day 1, but I am just being as honest as possible brah. But nevertheless, I'd love to be all kinds of wrong and hope he comes back with good news.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128