89S 350 TBI Head Gasket Replacement Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
89S,

I still got 350TBI engine and its still hooked up to the hoist. All I have to unbolt the trany and unhook the wiring harness from the trany.
I'm too far into this one now.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I defiantely got pissed off and had to walk it off, f'n this and f'n that while I did so, lol. That **** scares me.

no doubt dude!!!!

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
If I got shocked like that I'd probably start taking a baseball bat to it but that's how I deal with pain. For some reason pain instantly sets of my anger button. Not sure why :shrug:

Same

BTW 89S ,
Sounds like you need new wires :crazy:

Those bitches shouldn't be shocking you!
I remember when my old POS wires used to shock me :roflbow:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you grab a plug wire on anything its going to shock you. I dont know where they came from but my dad has a completely plastic set of pliers we used to pull plug wires off.

The only way I can shut off my lawn mower is pulling off the plug, and it shocks the piss out of me every time.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The only way I can shut off my lawn mower is pulling off the plug, and it shocks the piss out of me every time.

Trying pulling the plug off the spark plug on a lawnmower bare handed with no pliers. It shocks **** out you when it does it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I was gonna suggest you lost a cam lobe cam. If you by chance got a rocker arm to tight, or your new springs are stronger which is very very lickely, it put more pressure on the old cam than it wanted and you chewed off a cam lobe. If so, all that fine metal is now running threw your motor oil and likley thru your bearings. Hate to suggest it, but if this happened all of a sudden, and not immediatly after your turne up as if you got the firing wrong, and you're positve the fireing order is right then the lobe it my first suggestion. Sorry dawg, hope I'm wrong.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You sure you don't have a pushrod that went through the rocker arm? The metal on the arm is paper thin and my Blazer has gone through two.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Not for nothing, but I usually go a 1/4 past the point where the ticking stops on rocker arm adjusments. As for the shock...You`ns make sure your pants are zipped up. When the horse comes out of the barn, and rests against a fender....makes a good ground. 5 and 7 are really easy to get mixed up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You sure you don't have a pushrod that went through the rocker arm? The metal on the arm is paper thin and my Blazer has gone through two.

I say no. He says he adjusted the valves several times. He'd have noticed that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, I was gonna suggest you lost a cam lobe cam. If you by chance got a rocker arm to tight, or your new springs are stronger which is very very lickely, it put more pressure on the old cam than it wanted and you chewed off a cam lobe. If so, all that fine metal is now running threw your motor oil and likley thru your bearings. Hate to suggest it, but if this happened all of a sudden, and not immediatly after your turne up as if you got the firing wrong, and you're positve the fireing order is right then the lobe it my first suggestion. Sorry dawg, hope I'm wrong.
I think it is the lifter on cyl #3 intake. I will be diggin out my magnetic dial indicator this weekend and measuring the lift on it to see if it is in spec or wiped.

When I adjusted it Sunday, and put the preload 3/4 turn the book says, I saw the valve move, so that is telling me that my hydraulic lifter is not centering and must be bottomed out, that is also the same one that is pumping out a shitload of oil through the pushrod, like shooting right over the rocker arm and clearing the head, that aint right. The rest just normally bleed. They are my two clues so far.

Last night I looked at the motor running in the dark and I didn't see any sparks from the ignition or wires so I don't have a spark leak anywhere I can see. After work tonight I am going to pull that #3 wire off and I bet the truck runs the same. I think that is my dead cylinder.

I'll pick away at it and figure it out. I already vented and I am in the I don't give a **** mode now so I am good, lol. :crazy:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Same

BTW 89S ,
Sounds like you need new wires :crazy:

Those bitches shouldn't be shocking you!
I remember when my old POS wires used to shock me :roflbow:
Those wires came pregreased in the boot with some of that diaelectric grease **** and I think that is why. You can see it in the pics, it's white stuff. But I looked in the dark last night and didn;t see anything arcing, just if you touch it, lol. :shitsweak:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Since you gotta tear it back down might as well slap a new bumpstick and a set of new lifters in it!!! :cheers:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
agreed but why does he have to tear it down again?

I'd just yank it have the thing honed or bored whatever is needed, buy ya a cam kit from northern and/or a rebuild kit, master kit they call it, with oil pump gaskets and pistons, rings etc.

I'd quit messing with it and rebuild it and be done, either that or live with it's problems it has now and bad lifter or cam, buy one build it, minus the heads, then swap the top end over and drop in a new motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda