89 Suburban 350 TBI ICM and Coil Install - PIC HEAVY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
7/32 socket for cap screws and screws holding the ICM under the dist. Coil mounting brackets need to be swapped from old coil to new on. Factory unit has aluminum rivets holding the brackets to the coil, they grind off very easy and the brackets pop off. This coil came with the new screws but I did not realize until after I installed some I found in the garage. Used loctite on them also, and you got to make sure you install the brackets the correct way. One bracket is slotted so you only have to loosen one mounting bolt, and remove the other.

The new ICM came with a small packet of silicone to apply to the heat sink.

Towards the end of the pics, that white wire coming out of the coil to a black connector is not hooked to anything, anybody know what that is for? Tach hookup?

You must be registered for see images

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks for the right up, John!

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Pretty sure that extra wire is for the tach. When I hooked mine up, I put a spade connector on the end of that wire, and another on the end of my tach wire to the gauge to connect them.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, its a tach wire.
Not fir nuthin John, but is there slack in your TV cable?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup, its a tach wire.
Not fir nuthin John, but is there slack in your TV cable?

I think it is just the way the cable housing is kinda pulling at it from behind the mounting bracket, and I think a piece of the plastic cover in the operating part of the cable is broken off. Should I do something with it? It seems to shift fine. I would like to get the gas pedal to move with a lot less effort than I do now, seem like when you get the pedal half way down it gets harder to push, kind of a pain in the ass, makes you feel like you are killing the truck.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I think it is just the way the cable housing is kinda pulling at it from behind the mounting bracket, and I think a piece of the plastic cover in the operating part of the cable is broken off. Should I do something with it? It seems to shift fine. I would like to get the gas pedal to move with a lot less effort than I do now, seem like when you get the pedal half way down it gets harder to push, kind of a pain in the ass, makes you feel like you are killing the truck.

When you say "the operating part" what do you mean? If its not hooked to the throttle dont drive it. you will smoke that transmission.
That cable controls line pressure, with its unhooked, its like feathering the clutch on a manual, and you know what that does.
The governor in the transmission controls shifting.
Edit-Ohhh, you mean the housing around the cable with the adjusting teeth, right?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
When you say "the operating part" what do you mean? If its not hooked to the throttle dont drive it. you will smoke that transmission.
That cable controls line pressure, with its unhooked, its like feathering the clutch on a manual, and you know what that does.
The governor in the transmission controls shifting.
Edit-Ohhh, you mean the housing around the cable with the adjusting teeth, right?
The inner part of the cable that comes out of the mount to hook to the throttle lever, there is a plastic sheath around it that looks like it broke a little on the end of it. Oh ****, I am looking at the wrong cable, that's the throttle cable. It has like a dust shield on it, you can see the crack in it.

The trans cable is definitely hooked up. But I see a piece of loom or electrical tape is stuck around it, i got to get that off of there. Didn't even notice it until I looked at the pics.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The inner part of the cable that comes out of the mount to hook to the throttle lever, there is a plastic sheath around it that looks like it broke a little on the end of it. Oh ****, I am looking at the wrong cable, that's the throttle cable. It has like a dust shield on it, you can see the crack in it.

The trans cable is definitely hooked up. But I see a piece of loom or electrical tape is stuck around it, i got to get that off of there. Didn't even notice it until I looked at the pics.

I noticed in that one pic, that the tv cable looked loose...I just hate to see your trans burnt up incase you didnt notice it. As long as itsbhooked up, and adjusted right, your all good.

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Nice write up. :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nice write up, buddy :)

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Are you running a points distributor???, for some reason every GM vehicle I've owned had an hei dizzy, including my 90 suburban did you swap yours out or did it come like that even both my 79's have been hei my Monte caprice blazer you name it.lol

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Are you running a points distributor???, for some reason every GM vehicle I've owned had an hei dizzy, including my 90 suburban did you swap yours out or did it come like that even both my 79's have been hei my Monte caprice blazer you name it.lol

Its a small cap dizzy external mount coil. They had them in the early 90s. My S10 and my 93 Astro that had a 4.3 in it were the same way.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Its a small cap dizzy external mount coil. They had them in the early 90s. My S10 and my 93 Astro that had a 4.3 in it were the same way.

So its still an hei just with an external coil? Never knew they existed till now, defs learn alot on here, I wonder what was the deciding motion between a standard hei and the external at the factory, my 90 burb almost identical to 89's and my 89 stepside both tbi 350 powered had the standard hei cap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64