89 3/4 Ton conversion consideration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Now if only I could find some sport utility wheels like what's on it, but in 8 lug.

I know they don't exist, but I remember those wheels always being on it.

A bit sentimental, I know.
What are these square bodies to us but sentimental?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
My county has 90,000 people and it takes an hour in either direction of center to get to the next county. I dont know what a big city is lol

The Metro area I live in has 2.5 million for a population.
But, from where I live if you drive 90 minutes to the west you are at the ocean.
If you drive 90 minutes to the east you are on the mountain.

It is damn humid. Over 90% most days.

My snowflake conservative feelings wouldn’t allow me to live near that many liberals. You are a better man than me. Lol
I would melt in that humidity.
We have low humidity here and it is excellent.
You must be registered for see images attach

But back to Captian Coolness and his suburban build project....

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Locally we have a Cars and Coffee every Saturday. There's a guy in his late 70's that shows up with his restored 1981 C10 short bed 6.2 diesel. I asked him about his truck as it is running 8 lug suspension. I didn't know if it was some special order thing as it was a diesel. He said he converted it years ago. He claims the 3/4 ton cross member bolted right into the half ton frame. In the rear he added a a 14 bolt. He made it sound pretty straight forward.

I've done 2 3/4 ton axle swaps on a K5 and a K15. Both were easy. I had to run a hybrid U-joint at the rear axle and used a 3/4 master cylinder (same booster). I had to swap the brake line positions on the master as the reservoirs were reversed. I used the same steering boxes and drag links, but I can't say it's the same for 2WD.

Based on the wheels I see in post #25 these are the closest ones I could find from GM. They were on the Sarge Special edition, but I would bet my life they are 16.5" wheels. If you were looking for a steel rally looking wheel, the 90's trucks would be a good choice (Photo #2).

I would definitely switch to 16" wheels and E range (10) ply) load tires. Why upgrade the brakes and suspension, only to de-rate the set up with lower weight rated tires. Most 1/2 tons with 15" wheels have load range C tires (6 ply)

You must be registered for see images

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I helped a friend go the other way, (NOT like that)from 3/4 to half. We got a C10 front crossmember complete and bolted it in.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I helped a friend go the other way, (NOT like that)from 3/4 to half. We got a C10 front crossmember complete and bolted it in.
Good to know who I can talk to if I decide to go the other way.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Locally we have a Cars and Coffee every Saturday. There's a guy in his late 70's that shows up with his restored 1981 C10 short bed 6.2 diesel. I asked him about his truck as it is running 8 lug suspension. I didn't know if it was some special order thing as it was a diesel. He said he converted it years ago. He claims the 3/4 ton cross member bolted right into the half ton frame. In the rear he added a a 14 bolt. He made it sound pretty straight forward.

I've done 2 3/4 ton axle swaps on a K5 and a K15. Both were easy. I had to run a hybrid U-joint at the rear axle and used a 3/4 master cylinder (same booster). I had to swap the brake line positions on the master as the reservoirs were reversed. I used the same steering boxes and drag links, but I can't say it's the same for 2WD.

Based on the wheels I see in post #25 these are the closest ones I could find from GM. They were on the Sarge Special edition, but I would bet my life they are 16.5" wheels. If you were looking for a steel rally looking wheel, the 90's trucks would be a good choice (Photo #2).

I would definitely switch to 16" wheels and E range (10) ply) load tires. Why upgrade the brakes and suspension, only to de-rate the set up with lower weight rated tires. Most 1/2 tons with 15" wheels have load range C tires (6 ply)

You must be registered for see images

My 'burb started life as a K1500 and ended up with K20 axles and brakes. The original brakes were about the same size as a large car. And while that package may have been adequate for a Cadillac it was no match for a 6000lb truck. It would burn through a set of brakes every 12K miles. I did add a couple of leaves to the springs, but not enough to turn it into a 3/4 ton. It was more for control and ride height. The tires were also not E rated because I didn't need that kind of capacity and the lighter tires rode better.

BTW, something is wrong with the info the guy gave you. The 6.2L wasn't introduced until 1982.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
BTW, something is wrong with the info the guy gave you. The 6.2L wasn't introduced until 1982.

I was guessing on the year. I know it was an 81 or '82. I didn't pay much attention to the grill on his truck. Has the turn indicator in the bumper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad