87 Tranny/transfer case leake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok guys so I recently pulled my truck in the garage to drop a motor back in. Come to find out that the transmission's leaking from where the tcase mounts to the transmission. Is this a common problem or would it be caused from the truck being moved from outside where it's freezing to the garage where I had a heater goin to warm it up? The tranny is a 700R4 and transfer case is a NP208. Would this be a seal I would get from a dealership or would it be something I can get at a parts store?

Thanks guys,
TJ

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think that is a gasket between the 2 but I could be wrong. That would make your truck a K20 would'wouldn't it? Or is this a different truck than listed in your profile?

Last edited:

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Pull it apart and clean it up. Resilicone the mating surfaces.I don't think there is even a gasket offered for that spot. I've always used silicone. And be sure to top off the fluids.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Pull it apart and clean it up. Resilicone the mating surfaces.I don't think there is even a gasket offered for that spot. I've always used silicone. And be sure to top off the fluids.

Hang out here more often dawg. Share your mud truck build and stuff here man. :(

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Nah the one I'm workin on right now is a 87 R10 Silverado. The tranny was sitting by itself on the crossmember for a little over a month which caused it to start leaking (I think) since its never had this problem before. Hopefully I have time to get to it this weekend. Wouldn't wanna have to constantly buy fluid to top it off it it keeps leaking.. One more thing. I seemed to misplace the dipstick and tube for the tranny. I ordered a new one but found out too late that it's for a th400... Would this work in my 700r4??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981