'87 R20 AC Recharge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raffles

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7L
Getting ready to recharge the wife's AC, and I've never done this before. I'm looking at the AC, and I'm only seeing two ports (top center and bottom center). Can someone point me to the low side port? Also, any tips? Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Getting ready to recharge the wife's AC, and I've never done this before. I'm looking at the AC, and I'm only seeing two ports (top center and bottom center). Can someone point me to the low side port? Also, any tips? Thanks in advance.

The low side port is circled in yellow:

You must be registered for see images attach

Add gas in small quantities. Keep checking for sufficient charge. Don't overcharge - that can be worse than under charging. A quick check can be done by feeling the liquid line (after the orifice) and the evaporator outlet. They should both be cool and about the same temp.

I just use one of those trigger adapters with a little gauge - they work surprisingly well.

Raffles

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks for the info!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks for the info!

No problem, but I had to go to the store - so a lot of info was left unsaid.

1. If the system has been allowed to drop to atmospheric pressure, it will be contaminated by moisture and non-condensable gasses (i.e. air). It will be necessary to evacuate the system before even attempting to recharge.

2. More importantly, you still have the original R-12 service fittings. So it would probably be safe to assume that the refrigerant has never been converted to 134a (which I am assuming you intend to use).

Below is how I convert to 134a, ignore it if you are staying with R-12 - or if the conversion has already been done:

It is a good idea to remove the hoses and tubing that connects the 3 main components (compressor, condenser & evaporator) - then blow the hoses/tubing and components. The oil will be far more effectively removed.

You can't blow through the compressor - unbolt it, and tip it over to drain the oil (rotate the internals if possible). This will get the bulk of the R-12 oil out.

Here is a 134-A conversion procedure written by someone with too much time on his hands:

No component changes are required to switch over from R12 to 134a. All the currently installed parts can remain and will work just fine with a 134a charge. While the system is open you will want to replace the filter drier and the expansion tube.

Couple of notes:

You will have to dump the remaining R12 before anything else is done. You can legally release it to atmosphere, but certified shops cannot.

They have special re-re (refrigerant recovery) equipment that captures the R12. When they have a full bottle it gets sold to a facility that purifies and repackages it for re-sale. The production of new R-12 was banned worldwide years ago, so the only source is what can be reclaimed.

Anyway, if a shop does this conversion, that recovery process will trigger an extra charge. If you do it yourself it is free.

Whatever way you do it, after the system gets dumped, it will need to be flushed, evacuated and recharged with 134a.

Flushing is required because the oil used with R-12 is non-compatible with the oil used with 134a. There is a specific, involved, expensive way to do this - or there is the easy way. Provided your system is not being changed over due to a "black death" casualty you can do it with all the components in place and using just compressed air.

Black death is simply a term used to describe a refrigeration system that has been disabled due to a catastrophic failure of the compressor. All the components and connecting tubing/hoses are contaminated with burnt (caked on) oil and all the metal particles that resulted from the compressor failure.

Release all the tubing fittings that connect the 3 main components (compressor, condenser & evaporator). Remove the suction/discharge hose manifold from the back of the condenser. Pull the existing expansion tube from the tubing that leads into the evap. Remove the filter drier.

Using 100 psi compressed air at a good volume:

Blow the residual oil from the condenser and evaporator coils. Do this in in both directions. Repeat until you feel that the bulk of the old oil is removed.

Blow out the liquid line that connects the condenser to the evaporator.

Blow out both compressor hoses.

Understand that the old R-12 oil is not like "poison" to the newly added 134a - its just that it does not behave in exactly the same manner. So if there is a bit that remains in the system it will not be an issue.

That's it for flushing.

Using new o-rings at the fittings, replace your filter drier and expansion tubing.

Add PAG 100 oil in quantities as below and close the system up.

•Compressor- (1 ounce)
•Evaporator - (3 ounces)
•Condenser - (1 ounce)
•Accumulator (2 ounces)

Evacuate, leak check (system should hold 28" Hg for a few hours) and charge with about 50 ounces (4 cans) of 134a. You will have to jump your low pressure cut-out switch to get the first 2 cans in. After that the system will have enough pressure to allow the low pressure switch to operate normally and keep the compressor running.

You will need to buy a set of adapters for the service ports so you can charge and attach your gauges - if you have them. The adapters just screw on to the existing service ports.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Jerry pretty much said everything that can be said. I will say that if you’re running the original Harrison compressor and the truck has a good amount of miles, the compressor may have been the reason that the system dumped its charge. On mine, you can shine a UV light on the seam of the compressor shell, and it’ll have UV dye all around there. That’s only a year and change ago that it happened, but if yours did the same recently, it maybe worthwhile to shine a UV light around if dye was ever added to the system and see if you need a new compressor before you spend time/money on just a recharge and/or conversion.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
"You will have to dump the remaining R12 before anything else is done. You can legally release it to atmosphere, but certified shops cannot"

I'd like to point out that venting any refrigerant is a $10K fine per occurrence for anyone.

There have been idiots that were stealing outside compressor / condenser units to sell for scrap that were prosecuted and convicted by the Feds under the Clean Air Act for dumping the refrigerant charge. I'm sure the home / business owners that suffered the loss didn't even get their insurance deductible covered.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
"You will have to dump the remaining R12 before anything else is done. You can legally release it to atmosphere, but certified shops cannot"

I'd like to point out that venting any refrigerant is a $10K fine per occurrence for anyone.

There have been idiots that were stealing outside compressor / condenser units to sell for scrap that were prosecuted and convicted by the Feds under the Clean Air Act for dumping the refrigerant charge. I'm sure the home / business owners that suffered the loss didn't even get their insurance deductible covered.

You're probably correct on this - now. But, when I got my Section 608 Universal certification (like maybe 20 years ago) the rules were different.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I believe there were more changes again for 609 Certification for 2018, as HFO1234yf and CO2 (talk about inefficient) become reality.
The march always continues on in the name of the environment via increased regulation, expenses and taxes, particularly with refrigeration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising