87 350 TBI High Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
First of all, Im a new square body owner, I just picked up a 1987 V10 Suburban Silverado a week ago, and love it! The truck is in great shape for its age, though it does need paint/bodywork and tires. My brother named him The Golem, hence my username :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, ive recently had an issue where he idles extremely high. I dont have a tachometer, but I know its high, cuz I almost have to yell at my passengers. This Only happens when I put it in park, after its been in another gear. This causes the transmission to slam into gear, which is not good. I know this means that the engine is getting too much air, and I have no clue where my IAC is, can someone tell me? I took pics of my engine bay. Also; there is a silver steel wool like hose that runs from the air cleaner to the bottom of the engine on the right side (last picture), and its not affixed very well to either, could that be the culprit? and what is it called? The fan is always on, making it sound like a jet. Is that normal??
THANKS!

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm having a similar problem on mine. It's not a constant high idle, though, and mine's a bit rich. Not horrible, though. Anyways, here's a picture of the IAC. It's the black thing on the left that can be removed with an adjustable wrench. My TPS is off in this picture so don't worry about that. I don't know what that tube is. Mine has the same setup minus the tube, and it it runs pretty good. Before you start thinking about the IAC, though, make sure you have no vacuum leaks, as that can cause a consistently higher idle, and for reference, can you see a screw on the driver's side front corner of the TBI, or is it smooth? There's a minimum idle air screw there that was sealed from a factory that many a ding **** crack open and play with.
Edit: The image uploaded on its side. The IAC is on the left of that green connector.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 342

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would first check for a vacuum leak. Does it ever idle down? Is it effected if the brakes are applied or not?

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm having a similar problem on mine. It's not a constant high idle, though, and mine's a bit rich. Not horrible, though. Anyways, here's a picture of the IAC. It's the black thing on the left that can be removed with an adjustable wrench. My TPS is off in this picture so don't worry about that. I don't know what that tube is. Mine has the same setup minus the tube, and it it runs pretty good. Before you start thinking about the IAC, though, make sure you have no vacuum leaks, as that can cause a consistently higher idle, and for reference, can you see a screw on the driver's side front corner of the TBI, or is it smooth? There's a minimum idle air screw there that was sealed from a factory that many a ding **** crack open and play with.
Edit: The image uploaded on its side. The IAC is on the left of that green connector.

How do I check for vacuum leaks? I'll have to check on that throttle body screw when I get off work. I bought this truck as a toy basically to help me learn more about working on cars. But if it's too difficult, I'll take it to my mechanic

Last edited:

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would first check for a vacuum leak. Does it ever idle down? Is it effected if the brakes are applied or not?
When I start it up cold, it idles high (which is normal) then idles down, but as soon as I put it in gear, and back to park, it sounds like a freight truck. The brakes don't affect the idle, but the truck is very jumpy while at a stop sign/light, I just assumed that was normal with its age and all that torque. It does idle low in reverse though. I always feel like it's going to die, but it hasn't yet. It has a cheap battery in it that doesn't have enough power for that truck, so I'm going to replace that tomorrow, but any other help is greatly appreciated. Runs beautifully otherwise

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'll get a video of it tonight, Ive never had a car older than an 05 (sadly) so maybe it's normal and I'm just not familiar with it? It doesn't have all that engine sound proofing that late model suburbans do. Like I said, I don't have a tachometer, but it is LOUD, and I can feel the revolutions....if that makes sense

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Don't worry about that hose coming from the air cleaner - that hose just directs warm air from the exhaust manifold into the air intake to bring the engine up to operating temp faster, and it won't cause a vacuum leak or idle issues. Many trucks this old have long lost that tube, your truck will run fine with or without it.

But as others have stated, I would begin by checking all vacuum lines for any leaks. You can spray throttle body cleaner over the vacuum lines and if you observe a change in idle after you spray on a particular section, that indicates a leak there, then narrow it down and replace the hose or cut and splice in a new piece of vacuum tubing.
But it sounds like you could have a large leak, so just feeling the lines by hand and visually inspecting you might be able to find it, or something is not connected all the way.

Once you've ruled out the possibility of a vacuum leak, I would then move on to that Idle Air Control (IAC) and check that the throttle position sensor (TPS) and throttle plate is calibrated correctly. There's a procedure for doing this with a multimeter, but check out those vacuum lines first. (vacuum leaks can be a real pain to find, so really check it over)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The catalyst sticker on the top middle of the core support is a good reference if you have it. It shows the whole vacuum network. Just make sure all the connections are tight according to that diagram. I think I have one in case yours is gone for some reason. People say that spraying carb cleaner or WD40 around the base of the TBI are good indicators of a failed TBI base gasket, which is arguably the most common vacuum leak. That's the best place to start. The screw tells you if someone's messed with the idle or tried to. If not, you don't have to go clean up someone's likely mistake.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 333

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Don't worry about that hose coming from the air cleaner - that hose just directs warm air from the exhaust manifold into the air intake to bring the engine up to operating temp faster, and it won't cause a vacuum leak or idle issues. Many trucks this old have long lost that tube, your truck will run fine with or without it.

But as others have stated, I would begin by checking all vacuum lines for any leaks. You can spray throttle body cleaner over the vacuum lines and if you observe a change in idle after you spray on a particular section, that indicates a leak there, then narrow it down and replace the hose or cut and splice in a new piece of vacuum tubing.
But it sounds like you could have a large leak, so just feeling the lines by hand and visually inspecting you might be able to find it, or something is not connected all the way.

Once you've ruled out the possibility of a vacuum leak, I would then move on to that Idle Air Control (IAC) and check that the throttle position sensor (TPS) and throttle plate is calibrated correctly. There's a procedure for doing this with a multimeter, but check out those vacuum lines first. (vacuum leaks can be a real pain to find, so really check it over)

Thanks, that's very good information. I always wondered why it got up to operating temperature so quick, with it being so old. I'll inspect those vacuum lines, and let y'all know

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
And as for the fan sounding loud, you more than likely need a new fan clutch - an excessive roar is one of the signs the fan clutch is bad. Once everything is warmed up, the fan sound should drop, it's normal for the fan to sound louder when starting up cold, but should be relatively quiet at operating temperature. I replaced mine not too long ago and was amazed at how quiet it got.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Damn! I definitely have to paint my grill black now.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
And as for the fan sounding loud, you more than likely need a new fan clutch - an excessive roar is one of the signs the fan clutch is bad. Once everything is warmed up, the fan sound should drop, it's normal for the fan to sound louder when starting up cold, but should be relatively quiet at operating temperature. I replaced mine not too long ago and was amazed at how quiet it got.
That may be what I need to do. The sound is more fan than anything, though the idle is still high.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok Im having a difficult time getting videos of it. I looked at the vacuum lines and see no obvious issue, but Ill test it with the fluid this weekend (sunday/monday for me). Thanks y'all, you're certainly more help than the folks on GM fullsize

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda