86 GMC Short Box Engine Swap To TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
When the weather is better here i'll upload more pics of the truck as i work on it

Last edited:

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Off the exhaust manifold / header topic for the moment ... when the time comes to do the electrical under the hood for the engine ... do i really need all of the emissions ? where i live the truck does not require an emissions test due to its age so is there any way to at least eliminate some of that crap ? lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I personally wouldnt buy them, because I dont know exectly how or if they would clear the crossmember or the steering shaft for that matter....and that drivers side one looks like it drops a little too much straight down...right towards the motor mount/crossmember

Both being a small block, the motor mount is in the same location. The primaries run almost straight down in order to tuck between the starter and motor mount. Steering shaft is not an issue. Like I said, they look just like the shorter style Hedman long tubes, they are a royal PITA to install but they tuck nicely. Other issue is the shifter linkage if it's a 700r4, it's very close to the collector but an exhaust shop could work around it. My money is on them fitting.

Off the exhaust manifold / header topic for the moment ... when the time comes to do the electrical under the hood for the engine ... do i really need all of the emissions ? where i live the truck does not require an emissions test due to its age so is there any way to at least eliminate some of that crap ? lol

The smog pump and related tubing/brackets/hoses can all be deleted. There's not much else unless you choose to delete the EGR valve.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Both being a small block, the motor mount is in the same location. The primaries run almost straight down in order to tuck between the starter and motor mount. Steering shaft is not an issue. Like I said, they look just like the shorter style Hedman long tubes, they are a royal PITA to install but they tuck nicely. Other issue is the shifter linkage if it's a 700r4, it's very close to the collector but an exhaust shop could work around it. My money is on them fitting.

The smog pump and related tubing/brackets/hoses can all be deleted. There's not much else unless you choose to delete the EGR valve.

Starter is on the passenger side, its the drivers side one that drops straight down. Drivers side on the trucks usually drop down between 5 and 7. I may work, It may not.
As far as the emissions stuff, What is the 4 letter BCC cod on your computer?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Starter is on the passenger side, its the drivers side one that drops straight down. Drivers side on the trucks usually drop down between 5 and 7. I may work, It may not.
As far as the emissions stuff, What is the 4 letter BCC cod on your computer?

You must be registered for see images attach

These are the short Hedman's. They look pretty close to the Vette headers to me, see what I was getting at?

Oh, and I know what side the starter is on :roflbow:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You must be registered for see images attach

These are the short Hedman's. They look pretty close to the Vette headers to me, see what I was getting at?

Oh, and I know what side the starter is on :roflbow:

ok,gotchya. Whats the cost on those headers?
And I know you know, just messin with ya a little!....Ya know?

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back to yah.

Jim - i'll have to get back to you on what the 4 letter BBC code is on my computer so when can figure out the rest of the emissions junk lol.

Jim and Bucket - Those short Headmen's and the rest of the kit looks fantastic ! the only thing that i can see that wouldn't work on my ride would be that tranny pan. Is that for a TH350 ? if it is then it woulnd't work because i'll be running the 700R4 ... but before i get way off course lol So the link that i posted from summit racing the headers are going for $127.95 and the guy who has the same headers for sale wants $125 not to mention he doesn't have the gaskets or the mounting hardware.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
ok,gotchya. Whats the cost on those headers?
And I know you know, just messin with ya a little!....Ya know?

I think they were around $320 on sale. Ya know that I know that you know, lol.

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back to yah.

Jim - i'll have to get back to you on what the 4 letter BBC code is on my computer so when can figure out the rest of the emissions junk lol.

Jim and Bucket - Those short Headmen's and the rest of the kit looks fantastic ! the only thing that i can see that wouldn't work on my ride would be that tranny pan. Is that for a TH350 ? if it is then it woulnd't work because i'll be running the 700R4 ... but before i get way off course lol So the link that i posted from summit racing the headers are going for $127.95 and the guy who has the same headers for sale wants $125 not to mention he doesn't have the gaskets or the mounting hardware.

That was a few things I bought earlier this year... some for one Burb, one for the other Burb, and a little for the K5 too.

I'd offer $50-$75 for them. He probably won't sell them otherwise... I don't know of many high-dollar Corvette owners that buy cheap headers for their cars. Bolts are no big deal at all, and you usually don't want to use the gaskets that come with cheap headers anyway. Whatever you can get them for, just remember they might not fit and they would need to be resold. Or bolted to your mailbox.

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Bolting them to my mailbox ? lmfao ! I never thought of that. Yeah your right in the ballpark of $50 - 75 same as what i was wanting to spend. According to the guy who has them he said the only reason why they didnt work on his ride was because they were hitting the front axle on his 4x4

Last edited:

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hey guys, well with the retarded weather thats going on here im not able to do anything with the truck for the time being so i figured id give you guys a little bit of info about me and why i got this truck. So for starters im a Chevy / Gm guy as you already know and im a HUGE John Deere fan ... im mean really .... Chevy / Gm in one hand and John Deere in the other ... to me thats a match made in heaven. Growing up in the 90's as a we lad there was tons upon tons of these square body trucks around here where i live. To be honest i dont know what it is about the body lines on these truck but it always ran through my veins like crack :rotflmao:. I got my first Gm when i was 15 it was rough through and through ... sadly i didnt have the mechanical skills i have today and i regretfully sold it :bawl:. years later i started to look around for another square body ... and low and behold 6 months ago i was able to pick up this 86 Gm aka ( Buttercup ). When i went and looked at it, it was love at first sight ... the truck and i have a few things in common. We are only 1 year apart in age ... from a distance we look good ... but when you get up close you can see a few flaws, but with a little elbow grease and time i know if im good to here she will be good to me. When she finally gets completed she should be one hell of a head turner.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Good story! I loved the body style growing up too, just something about them that you can't resist. For some reason, Burbs and Blazers have always been my favorite.

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Thanks Bucket. What are your thoughts for a paint job ? Im going back and forth between the colour it is now or Chevy orange. I was also thinking of getting stickers made for the doors from my brother in-law say " The redneck express "

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What color was it? Orange always looks good on these trucks, IMHO.

Creedux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
This is the colour it is now

Attachments

• user2514_pic2624_1351147520.jpg