84 pickup floor options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
k10 silverado, k10 suburban
Engine Size
The carpet in my 84 pickup is old and worn...aside of replacement carpet or a vinyl mat...do guys use some other method? I want something that will hold up to heavy use...bedliner?

Are there any wiring under the carpet? Or is it on the frame?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The dome light wire is under there. I dont use anyting, just painted metal. There are others on here who have bedliner, and some are talking about Lizard Skin sound deadener.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might throw down some EPDM in my rig, but it'd be easier for myself than most, since i'm a roofer...

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I might throw down some EPDM in my rig, but it'd be easier for myself than most, since i'm a roofer...

That'd be very slick if it got wet wouldn't it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That'd be very slick if it got wet wouldn't it?

Yikes !!! Is it going to be raining in your truck??? No running in the truck, you might slip and fall. :wave:

Sorry Adam, just had to. On a serious note though, are you concerned at all about noise??? I woudln't mind going with Lizard Skin or the sound deadening foil stuff, with a rubber mat over that. If noise isn't a concern, then go with the bedliner method would be my opinion. If you're talking you 82, you'll have dimmer switch wires too, if the 84, then just dome light and cargo light wires if you have cargo light. But, you should be able to hide those under the either plastic or metal that goes over the rocker seam where it meats the floorboard of the cab. :shrug:

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yikes !!! Is it going to be raining in your truck??? No running in the truck, you might slip and fall. :wave:

Sorry Adam, just had to. On a serious note though, are you concerned at all about noise??? I woudln't mind going with Lizard Skin or the sound deadening foil stuff, with a rubber mat over that. If noise isn't a concern, then go with the bedliner method would be my opinion. If you're talking you 82, you'll have dimmer switch wires too, if the 84, then just dome light and cargo light wires if you have cargo light. But, you should be able to hide those under the either plastic or metal that goes over the rocker seam where it meats the floorboard of the cab. :shrug:

Lol not necessarily rain but wet feet from snow and such...try to get in or outta the truck ans bust your ass...im an industrial electrician and I think I know what he's talking about and it's some slick **** when its wet...

No not that concerned about noise but I don't want it unbearable either ya know.

Im still in limbo about which truck to start tinkering with...most likely will be the 84...the suburban is already in pretty good shape

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I do know what you mean about the snow and wet boots etc. Just had to jab you with that and get you welcomed to the site.

I like your thinking on the 84 since the Burb is in good shape. Do what you can see the most improvement and gratification. That will keep you motivated for some time, then get down to the fine details as time permits.

delsolkm14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci SBC
I plan on doing a bed liner/rhino lining once I get all the metal replaced that needs it.

Curious about the sound deadening potential of it. I know it won't be as good as actual material meant for it, but I would think that it would help to reduce cab noise due to the fact that it adds some material to it.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I do know what you mean about the snow and wet boots etc. Just had to jab you with that and get you welcomed to the site.

I like your thinking on the 84 since the Burb is in good shape. Do what you can see the most improvement and gratification. That will keep you motivated for some time, then get down to the fine details as time permits.

Yea man...I know. Im just as big a bs'er as ne. Today I swapped the tcases in my burb and man its so much better.

As for the 84...im gonna start on interior and do as much aa possible myself. I wish I could afford to restore to all original

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just want to get my 3 projects consoidated and up to driving par. My dd right now, does not have windows that go up and down for missing wiring, and no heater. That is priority, then get the other trucks consoidated into 1 one and driving, then I get to start body and interior work along with powertrain upgrades and mods.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I guess realistically I should focus on my drivetrain first...the truck is very drivable but its also very tired...it needs an overhaul

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That can go either way. It's nice to work on body and paint without the powertrain in the way, but it also sucks to scratch up your body and paint installing the powertrain. I say do it whatever order floats your boat and what works best for the time strain and budget strain along with what gives you the most gratificaton to keep you motivated. The more improvement I see, the more motivated I am. That's just me though.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nah, it's not that bad. Now if there's standing water on an EPDM roof with some moss and dirt buildup, then you better watch your arse! :jester:

Hell yea...I think were talking about the white rubber...especially around roof drains like you say...im come close to taking a dive before...

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
You're exactly right.

I really feel these trucks will be of collectors value within the next several years...you see fewer and fewer in running condition anymore...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner