84 Chevy 305 intake and carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Hey, I just swapped my intake and carb on my stock Chevy 305 with an Edelbrock performer 2101 intake and Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM 4 barrel carb.

I can't see spending $50 on an Edelbrock adapter for the throttle and transmission cable. Is there anything I can do to make my stock bracket work? I measured where my transmission cable was and should be able to put it back exactly where it was no problem. What do I do??

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if you have a 700r4 trans you better make it right or that trans will be toast in a hurry, I've done it.

If it's a th350 or 400 sm465 etc. should be ok with whatever.

They swapped my 86 with an e brock intake and carb and looks to me like a stock bracket bolted onto it. I don't think I have any up close pictures, I'll post what I have maybe it's the same as yours?

Mine still had the cruise pod on it so I assume it's all stock and the intake has holes in it to bolt it all back up like stock doesn't look like tey modified mine, but I'm not removing it, don't want to mess with my tv cable as it's right now and I know if I touch it, it's gonna be wrong. They also make a geometry correction kit for 700's and whatever carb you have not sure if mine has it, but I've alway sheard you need it to make the tv cable work right.

Other setups we've had just used that cheapo 12 chrome one from any parts store, jegs, summit etc. They move around some but work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
if you have a 700r4 trans you better make it right or that trans will be toast in a hurry, I've done it.

If it's a th350 or 400 sm465 etc. should be ok with whatever.

They swapped my 86 with an e brock intake and carb and looks to me like a stock bracket bolted onto it. I don't think I have any up close pictures, I'll post what I have maybe it's the same as yours?

Mine still had the cruise pod on it so I assume it's all stock and the intake has holes in it to bolt it all back up like stock doesn't look like tey modified mine, but I'm not removing it, don't want to mess with my tv cable as it's right now and I know if I touch it, it's gonna be wrong. They also make a geometry correction kit for 700's and whatever carb you have not sure if mine has it, but I've alway sheard you need it to make the tv cable work right.

Other setups we've had just used that cheapo 12 chrome one from any parts store, jegs, summit etc. They move around some but work.

I finally got everything back together tonight and I'm about to rebuild my carb so I can install it. My stock bracket actually bolted straight back onto the Edelbrock manifold. Under one of the intake bolts and another bolt hole behind the carb. It looks like the bracket is a little far to the left though. It's at an angle with where it needs to be. As long as I get the length right will the angle bother anything? It's not a really sharp angle.

Actually looking at the photo I've uploaded it's not as much of an angle that I was remembering. I took a piece of vacuum line, cut a slit in it so I could slip it onto the transmission cable and used a pair of vice grips to clamp the cable in place exactly where it sat on the old carb. So now it should be exactly at the same place it was when I pulled it off the old carb.

I will probably take it to the transmission shop where I had the tranny rebuilt to make sure it's right. Do you know what I need to attach it to the Edelbrock linkage? The quadrajet linkage had a little peg that this slipped over and clipped onto. I'm sure they make something like I use for the throttle cable that screws onto the throttle linkage, but I'm not sure.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that might be close but I was always told anytime that cable came loose it had to be adjusted, most are supposed to adjust on there own you can look up how to online.

It went something like depress the d shaped tab and slide the cable back to the firewall, hook it on the carb and press the gas pedal inside to the floor several times, it was supposed to ratchet back into place, ours never would.

They did my bracket the exact same as yours.

I know I've seen the geometry correction kits and it may be for that angle not sure I never bought one.

Also you'll look up them lil edelbrock studs ones for throttle uses a washer and cotter pin and then a lil stud for the cable. My local autozone has them now but I used to get em from summit, jegs, ebay etc.

they were 8009 and 8018

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8018/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8009/overview/

I also found that here in wv during the summer mine would have hot start isues so I had to buy the heat insulator gasket they offered it's like 1/4 thick.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Aboslutely true! I used this Sonnax "TV Corrector Plate" on a friend's car to ensure proper TV cable travel. That means with throttle closed (choke off!) the cable should just start to have some tension (a few thousands pre-load), and when wide open, cable should be at end-of-travel. The Bowtie Overdrives website has detailed info on how to adjust the cable. http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2767-tv-cable-corrector-kit

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To add to my post above, I like the Lokar cables and bracket shown in the picture, but they are not cheap. Had trouble with an OE-style TV cable, where the trans end of the cable got hung up in the housing. The Lokar TV cable is slick as snot in that area.

Also, on my 82 C10 I use both the Lokar throttle cable and TH350 detent cable, as well as the cable bracket that mounts to the carb. They work flawlessly.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
To add to my post above, I like the Lokar cables and bracket shown in the picture, but they are not cheap. Had trouble with an OE-style TV cable, where the trans end of the cable got hung up in the housing. The Lokar TV cable is slick as snot in that area.

Also, on my 82 C10 I use both the Lokar throttle cable and TH350 detent cable, as well as the cable bracket that mounts to the carb. They work flawlessly.

You must be registered for see images

That's one really cool looking setup. I don't ever mind paying extra $ for something well designed, functional and troublefree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224