83 K20 for sale.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
WOW! I read the whole Craigslist post and thought to myself, who can I get to drive down to Independence, MO with me? That's only a 6 or 7 hour drive.

Then I realized it's in Independence, OR. That becomes over 24 hours on the road each way. Certainly a deal breaker for me.

Good luck on the sale! It sounds like it's worth every penny.
We have airplanes, buses, trains and U-hauls? Might be a stretch for an Uber.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Dutch Rutter,
Do what I did. Post it on ebay or CL in several places East of the Mississippi. Be clear that you are in Oregon. Then whatever price you think you can get for it.....double it!
I sold my rust free 69k10 that way and had bidding wars within days. I got $7K for a frame (without axles) and all the sheetmetal (cab/doors/fenders, etc.) and glass. The guy drove out from Iowa the next weekend with a buddy non-stop and put it on a trailer.

Moral of the story- Rust free classic trucks sell for BIG bucks back east. It was no more work for ne than selling it local.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Dutch Rutter,
Do what I did. Post it on ebay or CL in several places East of the Mississippi. Be clear that you are in Oregon. Then whatever price you think you can get for it.....double it!
I sold my rust free 69k10 that way and had bidding wars within days. I got $7K for a frame (without axles) and all the sheetmetal (cab/doors/fenders, etc.) and glass. The guy drove out from Iowa the next weekend with a buddy non-stop and put it on a trailer.

Moral of the story- Rust free classic trucks sell for BIG bucks back east. It was no more work for ne than selling it local.

Grit dog said the same thing when he saw it for sale and messaged me about it. I'm going to do just that after this weekend. Figure throw another $20 or so at CL for sale adds over that way and see if I get anything back on it. My uncle over in Ohio echoed the same thoughts. Rust free older (or even newer) rigs just do not exist over there, especially 4wd pickups. I'd have no problem working with someone if they wanted to have it shipped. I also have zero doubt that it would make the long drive trouble free, other then putting premium into it the whole way. TBH might be more cost effective to ship vs driving it :hahano:, but it'd sure be a fun trip and a good way to get to know it.

I did have someone text me about it yesterday asking if I'd take 12 cash, told him yes, he then promptly called me asked a few questions about it then asked me to send him my address since he's about an hour away. I did and haven't heard anything else. Probably a scam of some kind or maybe I'll get some more junk mail :shrug:.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
The guy drove out from Iowa the next weekend with a buddy non-stop and put it on a trailer.
^^^Exactly this. I just don't have the means of doing it. My squares can't tow another square half way across country, and my buddies aren't that dedicated to these trucks. They think I'm a little crazy...

I'd have no problem working with someone if they wanted to have it shipped.
Any guess what it'd cost to lug that beauty over the mountains to the Minneapolis area? I honestly don't think I could swing it, and I don't want you to put a moment of your time into investigating, but I am curious.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That would sell all day long here in Iowa for that kind of $. Might be posted a couple hours before it was gone.
Wish it was closer.....

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@scrap--metal I'm really not too sure. I was wondering myself so I just did an official inquiry with Nexusautotransport.com (first thing that came up with a google search) and from Independence Oregon, 97351 to Saint Paul MN 55111 (random zip code that I found for a ballpark quote). With it fully insured, on a semi, and having a flexible delivery date (they have pickup availability next week). They came back with a $1500 price tag. I'm not sure what I was expecting it to be, but that seems fair for 1800 miles.

They are also considering it a "midsize pickup" in this quote because it is a single cab, Crewcab, long bed, fullsizes are apparently a Large pickup.

edit: I'd expect someone might be able to find a better deal with some shopping around.

Last edited:

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I've had a few people suggest ebay. I've never sold anything this big on there before so I'm not sure how that would work, but it might be where I go with it TBH.
I've also thought about BAT. I've seen several go for decent money on there but I've also been told they are pretty picky about what they allow to have a reserve, and I'd about die if I had to sell it for $8k or less.

I do like the idea of a forum member picking it up so I could still get updates on it. I'll even give someone the full VIP treatment, if they wanted to fly in and give me enough notice, I'll make the drive (hour or so depending on traffic) up to PDX in the truck and pick them up.
Honestly, I think your price is too low for my area. If you put 20k on that truck in Southeast Texas, it would probably be gone within a week. Either do an online auction with reserve like others said, or wait patiently. You'd be crazy to drop your price any lower than it already is. There are 2wd trucks that sell for more than you're asking.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
They came back with a $1500 price tag. I'm not sure what I was expecting it to be, but that seems fair for 1800 miles.
Thanks for inquiring. That's a little less than the $2K I was expecting, but still more than I think I could justify.

If I keep thinking about it too long, I might follow up with a PM to ask a few additional questions. Your Craigslist posting is very thorough though. I've re-read it multiple times now.

I was on the fence about a local $10K truck earlier this year. It was also rust free, but could've used a paint job. Guy ended up not wanting to sell it and decided to move it out of state with him, so that made the decision for me.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Be careful giving out your addy.
People have had their rigs stolen while they were out.
Meet at very crowded public places.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seems like these trucks are sitting around longer for sale out here recently and now til tax time isn’t historically good time to sell. Holidays and tax returns eat up many peoples extra moneys…
But I still agree the back east adds are worth a shot.
The pros know where to search, you don’t need to come to them, but there’s a lot of people who just don’t realize that the PNW is like its own classic car haven. So dropping it in front of their nose while they’re searching the salt belt classifieds I think is a good move.

And $1500 to ship sounds about right. Son shipped his Mustang to Florida from here for $1700 and I shipped a mower (big one) on a hot shot gooseneck from Omaha to here for $1200 (more expensive as he was only hauling 3 pieces of equipment, couldn’t use a semi car hauler for it).

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I drove from coastal NC to CA in a rental to get my K5. Should have driven to the CA coast so I could say I've been coast to coast lol.
Drove the K5 back with zero issues.
I worked on aircraft for 30+ years. I don't fly...

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@scrap--metal No worries at all. I was curious and actually decently surprised. I was right there with you, expecting upwards of $2k.

The CL post is definitely long winded. But owning it for the last 6 years I've gotten to know the truck pretty thoroughly, I feel it doesn't have any secrets from me.

Full disclosure for the forum I did seem to leave out the cowl water leaks it has (just forgot about them). Nothing crazy, but if it sits in a heavy rain the floor boards get the smallest puddles of water (maybe a soda pop can size around). I've always felt it was coming from the cowl but never addressed it (I have zero experience with body work, and would probably just make a mess of it). Floor board edges show evidence of that (surface rust) but nothing through and could very easily be cleaned up once the leaks are fixed.

If anyone has any questions about it or would like more pictures of it, let me know either by a PM, text, phone call, smoke signals, whatever and I'll get them for you. I will do my absolute best to make sure there wont be any surprises for a potential buyer.

I also have a video of the truck. I took this for the first interested person who had some strange questions so don't worry about me pointing out the fuel pressure regulator and walking through the start up steps. You can also hear the lifter tick that happens upon startup after it sits for a bit.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You (later in the game) are gonna say.... "Wish I'd never sold that old Chevy" . Sorry, I myself have said that so many times.

I know I'm going to. It will definitely hurt a bit to see it drive away. But ended up getting a new Colorado to take the daily driver role. If I had the space at the house I'd totally keep it and keep improving it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you want to attract more of the hot rod crew you might provide some specs on those aluminum heads.

Stock low compression heads on these engines really limit performance potential, but most folks don’t want to start out by swapping to heads with higher compression and a valve train that handles higher lift. However, better flowing heads are the foundation for a smooth/torquey 350+ horsepower 350 with a cam that works well in a heavy truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79