83 GMC...What to Do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
Sorry for the long post, but would like to get some thoughts from other square body fans...

I'm looking for some help in deciding what to do with my current truck. It's an 83 GMC C2500 fleetside that has around 140000 on it. I've had it for over 20 years and treated it well during the time. Probably only put about 15000 on it during that time around the farm and going on the occasional equipment hauling trip. Don't drive it much in the Wisconsin winters to keep it from the salt and because of the 2WD.

It's reached a point where I either need to put some time and money into it or sell it for something that's in better condition. The rest of the family wants me to ditch this truck and get something newer with 4WD, all one color and just overall looking better inside and out. For some reason I'm attached to this square body and have a hard time letting go. Plus, being in the rust belt, finding something newer (in what I want to spend, which is 10 years old or more) that isn't rusted out or needing work.

The Good
  • Virtually rust free. Rust free bed from Texas (I'm in WI), cab corners and rockers already redone. Cab floor solid. One small rust spot on a front fender and inner fenders rusted around the body brace area. Should be easy rust repair, probably just replace inner fenders.
  • Frame is pristine.
  • Virtually dent free, a couple of small ones but no major body damage.
  • Although not original, has a strong 350 V8, Edelbrock intake, 400 transmission, good differential
  • Replaced window gaskets a couple of years ago
The Bad
  • Unintentional tri-tone. Was Carmine Red over silver, but PO spray painted over silver (reddish) and the box I added is white. Whole truck would need to be painted.
  • Interior in fair condition. Needs new dash pad, door panels, seat restuffed under driver's butt and new upholstery.
  • Noise level. PO put headers on engine, which are now rusting out. Need to either replace with original manifolds or find replacement headers and redo exhaust system.
  • Door gaskets shot
  • Leaks water in from around front left vent, have replaced seal around hinge, must be getting in somewhere else.
  • No AC. Would like to have that comfort added.
  • Kids tell me CD player sucks...it's a cassette deck with one marginally working speaker.
So I'm trying to come to a rational decision on whether or not to put money into what I have or cut ties and go with something newer. It becomes a matter of time and money, both of which are not unlimited. I have a shop area where I could do some of the work (painting probably not) but have other projects that are also wanting attention.
You must be registered for see images attach

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
:welcome:

I like it. Just do some digging and research on the stuff you want to fix like how much a new paint job will be, AC, etc. Then tally that up and compare to a suitable replacement that has the things you want. Then you can put a number on it.

The down side is the unknown like what that replacement may have wrong with it waiting for a new owner to reveal it's self to and then the sentimental value your truck holds on its own. Those you can't really calculate so just trust your gut.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m thinking keep it. Families are like that. Your relatives don’t want you to get it period, and your significant other wants you to get it, but god forbid you want to work on it sometime because you’re spending too much time with it. At least that’s how it was for me. You know the ins and outs of that truck, and it seems solid. As mentioned, you don’t know what you’re getting into as well with a different vehicle.

The big question is do YOU feel like you need 4x4. If you’ve done well with it, you’re probably fine. If you’ve gotten stuck a few times, a good compromise would be to see if it has an open differential and invest in a locker of some sort. If you get stuck all the time, maybe it’s time to move on.

The next big one is A/C. You’ll have to add aftermarket or modify your current setup for air. I would do the latter on this truck. If this was a ‘60 Impala, I’d do Vintage Air, but plenty of squares had air. It’s not that old, and there are a lot of 81-91 squares being parted out and in the junkyards so you can get a lot of what you need for cheap.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/air-conditioning-install.7225/

Paint and interior are pretty straightforward. The prep work is so important. You can have the best paint job, and poor preparation will ruin it. As far as the interior goes, that’s not too bad. I will say that replacement pads vary in quality. You can also recover the one you have if you have a knack for interior work. To avoid needing a ton of exhaust work, I’d go on Craigslist and see about a set headers. Here you can find them for $50-$100 in decent shape. Just inspect them carefully if you do go that route. You can also do some sound insulation when you work on your interior, which I would do on anything that had the carpet out.

The leaks are not too bad either. You just need a garden hose, a friend, and a diligent eye. It might be that door seal so two birds.

Finally, does it have the OEM radio? The speakers of yesteryear are crap so they’re more likely gone than the head unit. I’d keep the OEM radio and just get new speakers. There are a few different approaches on how to get bigger speakers than the ones that came with it, or you can replace the four with the correct sized ones. If you have an aftermarket head unit, all bets are off.

Overall, it doesn’t sound like a big deal. While there are plenty good inner fenders in the junkyards here, I doubt any of them there are good. You’ll probably have to get new ones. It looks like you can do the prep work yourself and save money if you know what to do. Just make sure you have the factory paint code, which is located on the RPO sticker. Should be stylized as a four digit code preceded by a ‘WA’ or a ‘U.’ Going that route, I’d expect to spend about $5000. About 3K for paint and $2000 for everything else you want. Get quotes, though, because that’s ballparking it. Even if you go over some, I doubt you’ll be able to come out that well on something up to 15-20 years newer. I think it’s worth it. I’ve got appx. $6K in a Caprice that I was given for free, and I love it. It’s a real car, it’s comfortable, it rides nice, it feels safe, it’s easy to work on, I get good gas mileage, I’ve got ice cold air and crisp, clear tunes, and it is boringly dependable. To me, you can’t ask for more in a car. The rest is just window dressing.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Clean the bed and paint it to match the cab as closely as you can.
That will make it much better to look at.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

animal

Super Moderator