79 k30 lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted toys

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hey fellas, new member here from Tx. I'm looking at buying a 79 k30 as the title suggest and I'm wondering what kind of lift y'all recommend. I have tried a search but I must be wording it wrong because I get nowhere. The truck will be used for work and a daily driver so I'm only interested in going up about 3". Thanks in advance

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
:welcome:

Tuff Country springs are pretty popular as they have a pretty good ride to them. If you are going to haul weight in the truck they also make a HD version of the spring. The HD springs are also for if you have the weight of a big block or a large winch bumper up front.

I have the HD springs up front on my truck and have been happy with them.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog.htm

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Exactly who I was going to recommend. I would also recommend NOT doing the rear shackle flip if I were you, if you plan on doing any hauling. Lateral forces on that setup can crumple the shackle and make you lose control. Rear lift springs would be a better option.

Lifted toys

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome and the help. If the truck is a go I will snatch up some tuff country goodies and report back.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Either do a 2 1/2 and 3" lift or a 4" lift. Anything after 4" cause driveline issues.

The thing to keep in mind is that the smallest steering correction arm is 4" although I think you can get a 2" dropped drag link. The steering arm is the way to go.

The max lift with out steering correction is 2 1/2"

So the simplest way is to go 4" with a 4" raised steering arm. with 4" of lift you can still use the factory rear drive shaft. But the front should be lengthened by using the longer slip joint.

So if that's not up your alley then 2 1/2" in the front and 3" in the rear to level out the wheel well spacing and any sagginess in the rear springs.

Lifted toys

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Well after lifting all my vehicles in the past it might be a nice change to have only a 2" lift on one. I really don't want to spend much or change a lot of parts, I was hoping maybe front springs and blocks. We shall see, thanks for the insight MadOgre!!

Lifted toys

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Well the '79 deal fell through so I looked and found an '84 c&c 4x4 dually. Just ordered a 4" lift should be here this week. Now the waiting game begins.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Exactly who I was going to recommend. I would also recommend NOT doing the rear shackle flip if I were you, if you plan on doing any hauling. Lateral forces on that setup can crumple the shackle and make you lose control. Rear lift springs would be a better option.

I thought stock springs and shackle flip was better for hauling?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Kinda... the stock springs usually are better at hauling weight vs an aftermarket lift spring.

But if you use the stock shackles it puts a lot of side to side stress on them and they can buckle.

You must be registered for see images

So then you can buy upgraded heavy duty shackles that are supposed to prevent that. I haven't tried them...

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Kinda... the stock springs usually are better at hauling weight vs an aftermarket lift spring.

But if you use the stock shackles it puts a lot of side to side stress on them and they can buckle.

You must be registered for see images

So then you can buy upgraded heavy duty shackles that are supposed to prevent that. I haven't tried them...

So best thing to do is new rear springs and buy beefier shackles!?

Is there 4 inches in flipping the shackles!?

I appreciate all the help I'm learning a lot

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
New OEM rated springs will lift the back of your truck a bit. How much depends on how much your stock ones have sagged.
Then if you go the shackle flip route there are option of a 2.5" lift or a 4" lift.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Thanks