'79 Interior Colors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Well, I've finally found the perfect candidate for re-creating my first truck. My real first truck was a '79 GMC Heavy Half LWB 2WD Olds 350 Diesel, which had been converted to a Olds 350R gasser. Two tone grey over red(or burgundy?) interior. My dad bought it new when I was 1 and sold it when i was 16 to get an '89 that i flogged for a few years. I only had the old gray mare (as my brother called it) for a few months before "big red" was finished and delivered, but having grown up with that truck I have always wanted to find it again.

The truck I've found to start with has the correct paint job, is 4wd (full time - any comments?) like i always wish mine were and has most of the interior there, but not in great shape. I can find almost everything to rebuild the interior at LMC - BUT - is the "red" that they offer the factory color from '79 or were there multiple choices in the "red" camp? Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the insides of that old truck.

If there were both red and burgundy available - does anyone have a source for the factory colors other than those offered at LMC?

Attachments

• Exterior Left.jpg
    Exterior Left.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 203

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, the shades of red changed a little over the years. But generally the late 70's interiors were "Carmine" or "Dark Carmine" where the LMC replacements are just a generic red color. Some of the higher end restoration companies offer parts in a few different shades of red so you can get something close to stock.

The truck in the pic has a recovered seat and 80's model door panels. The dash will be a slightly faded but correct red color like original.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Interior Colors

Thanks.

Yes, i know the door panels are all wrong. The current owner keeps telling me that there was an "off-frame" (his words) restoration about 10 years ago. I guess "restoration" means different things in his circles.

Getting the door panels back to '79 correct is going to be a pain (lots of bits of trim) but it will be worth it.

Can you share the name of some of those companies with factory correct interior bits? I thought the LMC red was a little bright.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Classic Parts sells a vinyl Upholstery dye in Carmine Red. They cost $17.95. LMC, on the other hand, has a can of ColorBond vinyl paint that cost 14.95. The one in Classic Parts advertises it as Carmine Red, which is the original factory red. LMC has burgundy and red.. And in the catalog, the red looks like the OEM dark red. Up to you, I suppose. I, myself, am looking for some door panels that are dark red, because mine are faded and flaking pretty bad.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a few companies and I can never think of them all at once. Classic Industries and Brother's come to mind.

When I did the '77 dash and door panels, I used SEM plastic and vinyl paint. I used two different shades (I can't remember the names, but I still have the cans), one shade for the dash and the other for the door panels. The factory panels were never perfectly matched and I wanted to duplicate that.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good luck on the resto and finding the correct color parts!

On kind of a side note here, I find it humorous when the subject of matching the reds, tans, and even grays comes up. Don't get me here guys, but you have it easy! I have a GREEN interior! Trying finding anything green anywhere for the interior of our trucks!

I have not checked out Brothers yet. Will have to see what the have.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would not mind a green interior at all, I used to have one in an old quad light Ramcharger, very retro, and it's my favorite color. :)

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would not mind a green interior at all :)

I love mine!! It's just a little disheartening when I see absolutely nothing in that color. Not even a close green from an interior dye. I will do everything I can to keep it!! Even if it means over paying for nice used or NOS parts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I love mine!! It's just a little disheartening when I see absolutely nothing in that color. Not even a close green from an interior dye. I will do everything I can to keep it!! Even if it means over paying for nice used or NOS parts.

I like your green too. It's also about impossible to find anything in the burnt orange color that was also available.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like your green too. It's also about impossible to find anything in the burnt orange color that was also available.

Thanks! When was the burnt orange available? My grandpa had a 76, which a co-worker now owns, and it might have been that color. I haven't seen it for years now. Did it possibly come in a houndstooth variety?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks! When was the burnt orange available? My grandpa had a 76, which a co-worker now owns, and it might have been that color. I haven't seen it for years now. Did it possibly come in a houndstooth variety?

I'm not sure about '76, it might have been '77-'79. All of them I've seen have been solid vinyl, but that doesn't mean there weren't other options. I still see one every now and then, but when it's an old wore out truck, it just looks kinda like faded and dirty red.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
my 77 c20 has a green interior very basic no headliner plain door panels they look short w/green vinyl bench seat, appears like a tan vinyl floor mat. the green is starting to grow on me . does the paint/dye work well ?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
my 77 c20 has a green interior very basic no headliner plain door panels they look short w/green vinyl bench seat, appears like a tan vinyl floor mat. the green is starting to grow on me . does the paint/dye work well ?

If you are asking if the green paint/dye work well, I do not know. Honestly I have not found any that are close enough to try, and mine is in good condition so I really don't need to do anything with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade