79 camaro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually
Engine Size
It still looks just as it did in that last picture that Chris posted. I'll start a thread at some point, I need to get some parts gathered up before I start working on it.

What's your plans for the rust? I know that was a major issue for Chris. It would scare me to. :Insane:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
What's your plans for the rust? I know that was a major issue for Chris. It would scare me to. :Insane:

rust wasn't the issue for me, it was being able to be comfident in my welding, which sucks!!!!!!!!!! I can't see can't weld good, you find crappy welding pics online I bet mines worse. I would not trust welding in a unibody floor pan and the torque box rear frame rail area, not something important like that.

I'm really worried about trying to weld the frame cracks in my 83 k10 now since I found them

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, the rust isn't bad as far as I'm concerned. It's actually a very solid compared to what I'm used to. Floor pan work is generally very forgiving as far as fitment of the new metal. The frame rail section will take a little fabrication, but nothing extreme. I plan on subframe connectors too.

But things like quarter panel fitment and window frame construction are very tedious to get done right, and this car doesn't need any of that stuff.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
look on jegs and such @bucket that frame rail piece in back is part of the torque box, you can buy them new from partsgeek, cheapest I found for around $50 or so shipped. I think the acutal part goes under the frame rail so you might need to fab a piece like the end to go over the end of the torque box, or maybe buy 2 and cut the back end off, and make it fit over the first. I've seen youtube videos of a guy doing it on a T/A

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll wait until I get the rear springs and pockets out of it to make sure, but I'm still fairly confident I can easily fab up the section that it needs. And it would only be a few bucks worth of steel.

I did do a little work on the car though. I put some more bolts in the front sheet metal and did a little panel fitment. Mostly just so it looks a little nicer before it all gets taken apart again.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'll wait until I get the rear springs and pockets out of it to make sure, but I'm still fairly confident I can easily fab up the section that it needs. And it would only be a few bucks worth of steel.

I did do a little work on the car though. I put some more bolts in the front sheet metal and did a little panel fitment. Mostly just so it looks a little nicer before it all gets taken apart again.

it had super nice panel gaps, only flaws I saw where the point in mid fender and door, the fender stuck out a lil bit more then the door middle only, some told me it was for air to pass over and not have wind noise, some said it was for door opening clearance, some said just to shim top and bottom to suck the middle back in. I had those doors off too lined em back up best I could. Side note they are heavy LOL. That thing would look great if you took some 80 grit or something and stripped it to bare steel, treated any rust outside and then used some black epoxy like I was going to.

Oh on a side note, sorry, The gauge lens was left here, it's layin on the kitchen counter, can't belevie I forgot it. I can mail it to you sometime or wait until you get a chance to come by sometime. I'd hate for ya to make a special trip here for one thing. You are welcome anytime though you know that, just to hang out or whatever.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll just see if I can swing in again sometime, don't worry about sending it in the mail:)

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'll just see if I can swing in again sometime, don't worry about sending it in the mail:)

that works fine for me brother.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I accidentally found a nice Z28 hood for this car. Late Thursday night I accidentally found an ad on southern WV craigslist for it, the guy was in the Beckley area. I was driving to VA the next day and called him about it, he met me right along I77 and I was able to buy it from him. Worked out pretty nice. I also ordered a set of solid subframe bushings, they are supposed to make a good improvement in handling.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep 2 things I was going to do, solid subframe bushings and connectors for sure, and then either a z28 hood or cowl.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was reading the reviews on the few bolt-in style subframe connectors that are available, I think I'm going to build my own instead. Or at least modify the connectors I have for the Nova.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size