79' 1 ton Fuel Tank Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Instigate

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350ci 5.7L
I'm mounting the Spectra Fuel Tank "Part Number: SPIGM15A Manufacturer Number: GM15A" And using the straps that goes with it "ST12". I got the parts from autopartswarehouse.com, Which I don't recommend. They outsource their customer service to India and they are not knowledgeable about the parts at all. The guy was ready to let me order to complete wrong part when I was on the phone with him. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone had dealt with this tank before and might have some pictures of it mounted. I had to remove a support beam and I'm going to have to relocate a bracket that holds the rear brake hose and chop off part of the stock exhaust, which I don't really mind because it gives me an excuse to maybe buy a new muffler and tip.

It's a 79 GMC pickup 1 ton that I swapped the bed with a service bed, so I had to loose the dual gas tanks that mounted on the outside of the frame. I ended up putting a fuel cell in a knack tool box I mounted in the back but I'm going to have to pass smog eventually so I bought a tank I can hook up the filler neck and gas cap to. I would like to see any pictures anyone might have of similar setups with the tank mounted behind the rear axle using a strap setup like what I have going on.

This is the Tank:

You must be registered for see images

These are the straps:

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I did a very similar relocation with a blazer tank that I got from classicparts.com.

Here is the write up complete with pics
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663

Please read through it and ask any questions that you have. If you want better pics of something let me know and I'll do the best I can to help :waytogo:

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
Man,,,, I just got done ordering a 31gal tank, sending unit, and straps for rockauto. I'm doing the same thing to my 1 ton. Mine will have a flat bed on it. Going to mount air tanks on one side, and hydro pump for dump hoist on the other side were the leaking fuel tanks were. I removed a service bed off the truck. They had cut the floor in the front compartments to clear the original tanks.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i plan to put a blazer tank in my crew cab

i have the cross members,tank,straps and filler neck/door from a blazer

not sure the cross members will be a direct fit or need modified but it seems like the easiest way to me. put in the cross members and the tank would be a bolt in deal.

but the cross members would have to come from a donor blazer.

Instigate

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350ci 5.7L
Man,,,, I just got done ordering a 31gal tank, sending unit, and straps for rockauto. I'm doing the same thing to my 1 ton. Mine will have a flat bed on it. Going to mount air tanks on one side, and hydro pump for dump hoist on the other side were the leaking fuel tanks were. I removed a service bed off the truck. They had cut the floor in the front compartments to clear the original tanks.

I thought of cutting the boxes but I didn't want to loose the box space.
That setup sounds sweet, I might end up switching it to a flat bed if I ever get moved into a place with a decent sized garage, I need the service bed for some of my tools. What did you spend on the Tank, Sending Unit, and straps?
I spent ~$100 on the tank and I think the straps were like ~$20 or something. I got the sending unit from autozone because I wanted to be able to easily take it back if needed, I wasn't sure what part to get for my tank. I ended up getting one that was said to fit the spectra tank that mounts behind the rear axle. But ofc when it shows up it fits but it's like two inches too long. I ended up just putting a couple extra bends in the tube and got it to fit perfect.

I did a very similar relocation with a blazer tank that I got from classicparts.com.

Here is the write up complete with pics
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663

Please read through it and ask any questions that you have. If you want better pics of something let me know and I'll do the best I can to help :waytogo:

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll check it out.

Instigate

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350ci 5.7L

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
That setup sounds sweet, I might end up switching it to a flat bed if I ever get moved into a place with a decent sized garage, I need the service bed for some of my tools. What did you spend on the Tank, Sending Unit, and straps?
I spent ~$100 on the tank and I think the straps were like ~$20 or something. I got the sending unit from autozone because I wanted to be able to easily take it back if needed, I wasn't sure what part to get for my tank. I ended up getting one that was said to fit the spectra tank that mounts behind the rear axle. But ofc when it shows up it fits but it's like two inches too long. I ended up just putting a couple extra bends in the tube and got it to fit perfect.

I ordered Dorman tank and sender. They are coated to prevent rust. It was $220 plus $40 for shipping all pieces. I got the fuel injection tank, and sender, they are a little more. Local yard wanted $150 for complete tank. I thought it would be better to start with new stuff for the extra $$$.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
but the cross members would have to come from a donor blazer.

Just get some angle iron and modify it. It's cheaper and easier to find.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Instigate

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350ci 5.7L

I ordered Dorman tank and sender. They are coated to prevent rust. It was $220 plus $40 for shipping all pieces. I got the fuel injection tank, and sender, they are a little more. Local yard wanted $150 for complete tank. I thought it would be better to start with new stuff for the extra $$$.

For sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77