73 tilt for turbo 700 trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crablewy

Reaction score
First Name
lewis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So I've got this killer black C20 rest and just replaced turbo 350 trans with 700 (and added 3.72 posi). I have original stock non-tilt steering column but want to add tilt. Problem: seems 4 speed turbo 700 trans wasn't available until 82 or so and tilt for those later years (which would have the 4th detent in steering column for the 700) don't fit my 73. I can get a 73 tilt, but it has no detent for that fourth gear. Has anyone figured a way to modify that early tilt column to work with turbo 700?

BigPip

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
You installed a 700R4. Not a turbo 700. :) I put a '91 tilt in my '66 C10 so yeah it can be done. Just takes some modification. In my case, the newer column was quite a bit fatter than the '66 column.
What I did,
1- cut the mounting ears off the collar that attaches the old column.
2- bolt those "ears" back under the dash.
3- cut the "ears" off the new column mounting collar and discard.
4- bolt what's left of the new collar back on the new column.
5- place the column in truck, lining up the new collar to the old "ears" that are bolted to the dash and tack weld. Be sure to protect wiring and other flammable interior from welding sparks.(May take a little custom fab work to get them connected while getting the column depth where you want it.)
6- remove column, remove collar from column and finish welding and dressing it up.
Connecting steering shaft is pretty easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RadChad